Wednesday, January 16th
• Happy Birthday to Aaron S. (Tue), Mr Bunkers (Tue), Mr. Docken (Tue), and Asher L. (Wed)!!
• Lunch: Rito In-cog-neato OR Pork Fritter Sandwich
- The library will only be open from 12:50-1:55 today.
- Attention all students: Please be aware of where you are parking. Do not park in front of any mailboxes, fire hydrants or too close to driveways. Be remember you cannot park within 12 feet of an intersection or crosswalk or 15 feet of a fire hydrant.
- Attention TATU members: our T-shirts have been ordered, please pay $5.00 to Mr. Welbig as soon as possible.
- Sioux Falls Specialty Hospital is hosting a Career Day on Saturday, January 26th. This event is open to juniors and senior high school students looking to pursue a career in the healthcare field. Two sessions will be held 9-11 AM and 11-1 PM (registration is required). Students will tour the operating room, post recovery area and patient rooms, talk to nursing staff, surgical techs, radiology tech, and health care administration. Students will also have the opportunity to discuss healthcare career paths with several surrounding colleges and universities. If interested – please see Mrs. Ruesink for more information.
- The Post Prom Committee will be hosting a fundraiser at the Pizza Ranch here in Dell Rapids to help raise money for the post prom activities. Please come out Monday, January 21st from 5:00-8:00pm and support our Post Prom Committee and help raise 10% of sales and tips in house, buffet and carry out orders qualify. See you there!
- Raven Industries is hosting the 2019 Engineering Career Day on Thursday, January 24th. This event is an interactive, educational program for high school students centered around engineering. Students will gain exposure to business leaders, hear from Raven team members, and explore real-life applications of the various disciplines of engineering. Please see Mrs. Ruesink if you are interested in registering for this event.
- Please stop in the high school office for a David’s Bridal prom coupon.
- JR Alterations, here in town, is available for dress alterations. Please know that in order to get any alterations for prom the latest she can accept dresses is 3 weeks prior.
Wednesday, January 16th
• Happy Birthday to Bennett O. (Wed)!!
• Lunch today will be choices of: Cheeseburger Macaroni Skillet or Pork Fritter Sandwich
- ATTENTION 6th GRADE STUDENTS: If you would like to read morning announcements, please sign up in the office.
- Attention TATU members: our T-shirts have been ordered, please pay $5.00 to Mr. Hegge as soon as possible.
- The library will only be open from 12:50-1:55 today.
- DRMS would like to announce and congratulate the Students of the Month for January. These individuals have demonstrated positive behavior reflective of the Pillars of Character: trustworthiness, responsible, respectful, fair, good citizenship, and are caring individuals. Thanks to Lunchtime Solutions, Video Plus and Pizza Ranch, Students of the Month will receive gift certificates for these places!
Congratulations to our January Students of the Month:
- 5th Grade – Parker Z. & Cole H.
- 6th Grade – Alana L. & Marie M.
- 7th Grade – Trevor M. & Emily M.
- 8th Grade – Kamren K. & Mason R.
Dell Rapids opened up the game with an 8-0 run, but the Trojans countered with a 14-0 run to close out the first quarter and take a 14-8 lead. West Central continued the run scoring the first five points of the second quarter to push the lead to 19-8. The lead grew to 12 points by halftime at 32-20.
Dell Rapids cut the lead to five points in the third quarter after a 9-2 run. West Central led 34-29 with just under 4:00 to play in the quarter. West Central again answered with an 8-3 spurt of their own to take a 42-33 lead into the fourth quarter. The Trojans went on an 8-2 run to start the fourth quarter to extend their lead to 15 points, the largest of the night.
The Quarriers (4-5) will play Sioux Valley in Volga on Friday, January 18th, and then will host Elk Point-Jefferson on Saturday, January 19th in a girls and boys double header.
The Dell Rapids St Mary Cardinal boys advanced to the semifinal round of the Dakota Valley Conference tournament after an 83-53 win over the Estelline/Hendricks Redhawks on Tuesday, January 15th at Elkton High School.
The #1 seeded Cardinals found themselves in a tight battle in the first half with the Redhawks. The two offenses had things rolling right away in the first quarter. St Mary was able to give themselves a nine-point lead at the first quarter break of 26-17. The Redhawks kept pace with St Mary in the second quarter and trailed by just 10 points by a score of 44-34 at halftime.
St Mary’s defense locked down on the Redhawks in the second half. Estelline/Hendricks was only able to score 10 points in the third quarter as the Cardinals scored 22 to push the lead to 66-44. The Cardinals outscored the Redhawks 17-9 in the final quarter for the win.
Three players finished in double figures for St Mary. Connor Libis finished with 25 points, four assists, and two steals. Weston Geraets had 15 points, 10 rebound, and three blocked shots. Sam Palmer added 11 points and three blocked shots.
The Cardinals (8-1) will play at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, January 18th in Elkton. The game can be seen on Big Sioux Media.
In the opening round of the 2019 Dakota Valley Conference tournament, the Dell Rapids St Mary Cardinal girls basketball team fell to the Arlington Cardinals 50-42 on Monday, January 14th at Deubrook High School in White.
St Mary ended the first quarter with a slim two-point lead at 11-9. Arlington, however, held St Mary to just four second-quarter points and took an 18-15 lead into the locker room at halftime. That lead grew for Arlington to 11 points at 28-17 with 4:20 to go in the third quarter. St Mary shaved a point off that lead by the end of the third quarter and trailed 36-26 heading into the final quarter.
Arlington was able to maintain a 10-point lead over the first minute and a half in the fourth quarter and led 40-30. The lead grew to 11 points again by the midway point of the fourth quarter at 46-35. St Mary then went on a 7-0 run in just under two minutes to cut the lead to 46-42 with 2:12 to play. Neither team would score until the final minute. Arlington knocked down four free throws in that final minute to seal the victory.
Ella Heinitz finished the game with 21 points for St Mary. Maddie Schwebach added 10 points, and Ella Griffin had six points.
St Mary (3-7) will play in the consolation round of the DVC tournament on Thursday, January 17th against the Elkton-Lake Benton Elks. Tip-off is at 6:00 p.m. at Deubrook High School in White.
Janet was born on April 28th 1943 to Henry and Audrey (Ecker) Buus in Bradley, SD. She moved to Watertown, SD with her family and graduated from Watertown High School in 1962. Janet was successful as a legal secretary and later owned a business in the legal and medical transcription services.
Janet married John (Jack) Stone in 1968 and they were blessed with two sons, Jeff and Jason. They made their home in rural Watertown where she was a legal secretary for Osheim, Fox and Bartron Law Firm and Austin, Hinderacker, Hacket and Hopper Law Firm over the years. She later became a medical transcriptionist for Prairie Lakes (St Ann’s) Hospital. Several years later Janet was re-married to Raymond (Joe) Bortnem. They were married at the Renner Lutheran Church in 1998 and made their home in Sioux Falls and Dell Rapids. Janet was a resident at the Dell Rapids Nursing and Rehab Center for several years.
In her earlier years, she enjoyed taking pictures, going dancing and planting beautiful flower arrangements. She loved spending time with her family and her beloved cats.
Janet is survived by her two sons, Jeffrey (Tess) Stone of rural Hartford and Jason (Juanita) Stone of Brooking; six grandchildren and several step children and grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by her parents, Henry and Audrey Buus; first husband, John (Jack) Stone and second husband, Raymond (Joe) Bortnem.
A private family memorial service will be held at a later date.
Four seats on the Dell Rapids City Council will be up for election in 2019. There will be open seat in each of the four wards this year…the term for Gary Haak in Ward 1, the term for Mark Crisp in Ward 2, the term for Mike Geraets in Ward 3, and the term for James Borchert in Ward 4.
The term for each of those wards up for election will be three years. Petitions for the open seats can begin circulation on January 25th. All the petitions are due back to City Hall by February 22nd at 5:00 p.m. The election has been set for Tuesday, April 9th if necessary.
Continuing their solid play as of late, the Dell Rapids Quarrier boys basketball team cruised to a 72-44 win over the Milbank Area Bulldogs on Saturday, January 12th.
Dell Rapids led the game from start to finish while putting the a big distance between them in Milbank in the first quarter. The Quarriers put up 26 points while holding the Bulldogs to just seven in the first quarter for a big lead. Dell Rapids pushed that lead to 30 points by halftime at 49-19. The 30-point halftime lead meant a running clock for the second half. The Quarrier lead grew to nearly 40 points by the end of the third quarter at 65-29.
Four players finished in double figures for Dell Rapids. Drew Van Regenmorter led the scoring attack with 17 points. Logan Ellingson finished with 15 points, five assists, and four steals. Colin Rentz had 14 points, and Logan Heim finished with 13 points and nine rebounds.
Dell Rapids (4-3) will travel to Madison on Thursday, January 17th. A video of the game can be seen on Big Sioux Media.
The Dell Rapids Quarrier wrestling team had a good showing at the Tri-Valley tournament on Saturday, January 12th at Tri-Valley High School. Dell Rapids finished third as a team with 147.0 points. Winner took the team title with 250.0 points, and Kimball/White Lake/Platte-Geddes was second with 228.5 points.
The Quarriers also had eight of their 12 wrestlers place in the tournament. Andrew Weiland and Jacob Vogel each won their respective weight classes. Max Lamer and Gage Carr both had a 3rd place finish. Zach McKee and Braydon Gee had fourth place finishes. Caden Miller placed 5th, and Canyon Lowman placed 6th.
Dell Rapids will be at Dakota Valley High School on Tuesday, January 15th for another Dak XII meet.
106: Andrew Weiland (11-3) placed 1st and scored 28.0 team points.
- Champ. Round 1 – Andrew Weiland (Dell Rapids) 11-3 won by fall over Carlin Hopkins (Andes Central) 3-11 (Fall 0:15)
- Quarterfinal – Andrew Weiland (Dell Rapids) 11-3 won by fall over Tanner Preheim (Parker) 19-11 (Fall 1:52)
- Semifinal – Andrew Weiland (Dell Rapids) 11-3 won by decision over Kaleb Osborn (Winner) 23-10 (Dec 13-6)
- 1st Place Match – Andrew Weiland (Dell Rapids) 11-3 won by fall over Lucas Hueser (Elk Point-Jefferson) 17-7 (Fall 5:32)
113: Jacob Vogel (17-4) placed 1st and scored 29.5 team points.
- Champ. Round 1 – Jacob Vogel (Dell Rapids) 17-4 won by fall over Cyrus Kirstein (Tri-Valley) 0-2 (Fall 0:15)
- Quarterfinal – Jacob Vogel (Dell Rapids) 17-4 won by fall over Jacob Gale (Elk Point-Jefferson) 5-15 (Fall 0:47)
- Semifinal – Jacob Vogel (Dell Rapids) 17-4 won by fall over Jayse Miller (Garretson) 6-10 (Fall 1:47)
- 1st Place Match – Jacob Vogel (Dell Rapids) 17-4 won by tech fall over Carter Lenz (Kimball/White Lake/Platte-Geddes) 13-11 (TF-1.5 5:59 (17-1))
120: Caden Miller (4-6) placed 5th and scored 15.0 team points.
- Champ. Round 1 – Caden Miller (Dell Rapids) 4-6 won by fall over Lawson Louiseau (Tri-Valley) 0-2 (Fall 0:22)
- Quarterfinal – Kaden Keiser (Winner) 23-0 won by fall over Caden Miller (Dell Rapids) 4-6 (Fall 0:49)
- Cons. Round 2 – Caden Miller (Dell Rapids) 4-6 won by fall over Hunter Abraham (Garretson) 2-4 (Fall 2:35)
- Cons. Round 3 – Caden Miller (Dell Rapids) 4-6 won by fall over Grayson Jacobs (Elk Point-Jefferson) 7-11 (Fall 0:28)
- Cons. Semi – Isiah Grimm (Sisseton) 13-4 won by fall over Caden Miller (Dell Rapids) 4-6 (Fall 1:37)
- 5th Place Match – Caden Miller (Dell Rapids) 4-6 won by decision over Joseph Weis (Elk Point-Jefferson) 5-7 (Dec 5-4)
126: Canyon Lowman (12-9) placed 6th and scored 8.0 team points.
- Champ. Round 1 – Canyon Lowman (Dell Rapids) 12-9 received a bye () (Bye)
- Quarterfinal – Canyon Lowman (Dell Rapids) 12-9 won by major decision over Issac McDugle (Parker) 24-13 (MD 15-5)
- Semifinal – Riley Williams (Lennox) 25-4 won by fall over Canyon Lowman (Dell Rapids) 12-9 (Fall 4:32)
- Cons. Semi – Riley Orel (Winner) 18-8 won by decision over Canyon Lowman (Dell Rapids) 12-9 (Dec 6-5)
- 5th Place Match – Hayden Pierret (Garretson) 17-6 won by decision over Canyon Lowman (Dell Rapids) 12-9 (Dec 7-1)
132: Weston Mason (1-3) place is unknown and scored 4.0 team points.
- Champ. Round 1 – Weston Mason (Dell Rapids) 1-3 won by fall over Jamison Bjorum (Bon Homme/Scotland/Avon) 2-2 (Fall 1:24)
- Quarterfinal – Jaetin DeCou (Lennox) 26-4 won by injury default over Weston Mason (Dell Rapids) 1-3 (Inj. 1:01)
- Cons. Round 2 – Riley Hellmann (Bon Homme/Scotland/Avon) 13-11 won by injury default over Weston Mason (Dell Rapids) 1-3 (Inj. 0:00)
138: Trevon Cross (0-2) place is unknown.
- Champ. Round 1 – Dominic Abraham (Garretson) 16-10 won by fall over Trevon Cross (Dell Rapids) 0-2 (Fall 0:50)
- Cons. Round 1 – Braydon Steuck (Aberdeen Central JV) 2-6 won by fall over Trevon Cross (Dell Rapids) 0-2 (Fall 4:57)
138: Max Lamer (12-9) placed 3rd and scored 18.0 team points.
- Champ. Round 1 – Max Lamer (Dell Rapids) 12-9 won by fall over Cayden Himes (Bon Homme/Scotland/Avon) 2-5 (Fall 1:10)
- Quarterfinal – Max Lamer (Dell Rapids) 12-9 won by decision over Tate Hoffman (Miller/Highmore-Harrold) 13-10 (Dec 5-0)
- Semifinal – Braimen Steen (Sisseton) 21-2 won by decision over Max Lamer (Dell Rapids) 12-9 (Dec 4-0)
- Cons. Semi – Max Lamer (Dell Rapids) 12-9 won by fall over Dominic Abraham (Garretson) 16-10 (Fall 1:31)
- 3rd Place Match – Max Lamer (Dell Rapids) 12-9 won by decision over Tate Hoffman (Miller/Highmore-Harrold) 13-10 (Dec 7-0)
145: Zach McKee (13-8) placed 4th and scored 13.5 team points.
- Champ. Round 1 – Zach McKee (Dell Rapids) 13-8 received a bye () (Bye)
- Quarterfinal – Zach McKee (Dell Rapids) 13-8 won by tech fall over Aaron Gilchrist (Winner) 19-11 (TF-1.5 4:00 (23-7))
- Semifinal – Tyson Stoebner (Lennox) 22-7 won by fall over Zach McKee (Dell Rapids) 13-8 (Fall 0:18)
- Cons. Semi – Zach McKee (Dell Rapids) 13-8 won by decision over Spencer Hanson (Kimball/White Lake/Platte-Geddes) 22-9 (Dec 5-1)
- 3rd Place Match – Brody Weavill (Elk Point-Jefferson) 16-8 won by fall over Zach McKee (Dell Rapids) 13-8 (Fall 0:47)
152: Brayden Gee (13-9) placed 4th and scored 14.0 team points.
- Champ. Round 1 – Brayden Gee (Dell Rapids) 13-9 won by fall over Ethan Schroeder (Lennox) 0-6 (Fall 0:47)
- Quarterfinal – Brayden Gee (Dell Rapids) 13-9 won by decision over Blake Eldeen (Parker) 23-15 (Dec 3-0)
- Semifinal – Trevor Peters (Winner) 21-4 won by fall over Brayden Gee (Dell Rapids) 13-9 (Fall 2:00)
- Cons. Semi – Brayden Gee (Dell Rapids) 13-9 won by decision over Anthony Benda (Sisseton) 9-11 (Dec 9-3)
- 3rd Place Match – Daniel Cremer (Marion/Freeman) 17-8 won by tech fall over Brayden Gee (Dell Rapids) 13-9 (TF-1.5 3:41 (19-3))
160: Gage Carr (10-8) placed 3rd and scored 17.0 team points.
- Champ. Round 1 – Gage Carr (Dell Rapids) 10-8 received a bye () (Bye)
- Quarterfinal – Gage Carr (Dell Rapids) 10-8 won by fall over Charlie Patten (Parker) 17-13 (Fall 3:12)
- Semifinal – Sam Kruger (Winner) 21-2 won by decision over Gage Carr (Dell Rapids) 10-8 (Dec 7-0)
- Cons. Semi – Gage Carr (Dell Rapids) 10-8 won by decision over Joey Cole (Winner) 2-2 (Dec 10-5)
- 3rd Place Match – Gage Carr (Dell Rapids) 10-8 won by major decision over Stockten Walter (Bon Homme/Scotland/Avon) 9-8 (MD 15-4)
182: Sam Cavigielli (1-4) place is unknown and scored 0.0 team points.
- Champ. Round 1 – Regan Bollweg (Miller/Highmore-Harrold) 17-4 won by fall over Sam Cavigielli (Dell Rapids) 1-4 (Fall 0:52)
- Cons. Round 1 – Sam Cavigielli (Dell Rapids) 1-4 received a bye () (Bye)
- Cons. Round 2 – Hayden Stoterau (Garretson) 4-10 won by fall over Sam Cavigielli (Dell Rapids) 1-4 (Fall 0:43)
220: Aiden Moore (1-3) place is unknown and scored 0.0 team points.
- Champ. Round 1 – Aiden Moore (Dell Rapids) 1-3 received a bye () (Bye)
- Quarterfinal – Elijah Blare (Winner) 17-8 won by fall over Aiden Moore (Dell Rapids) 1-3 (Fall 0:51)
- Cons. Round 2 – Aiden Moore (Dell Rapids) 1-3 received a bye () (Bye)
- Cons. Round 3 – Chase Reed (Flandreau) 6-7 won by fall over Aiden Moore (Dell Rapids) 1-3 (Fall 2:09)