The Dell Rapids St Mary Cardinal girls track team was the 2021 State B Runner-up finishing with a total of 66 points at the state track meet at O’Harra Stadium in Rapid City on Friday, May 28th and Saturday, May 29th.
The girls team also set three school records at the state meet. Ella Heinitz broke her own 100m dash record with a time of :11.99, which also missed the state record by :0.01 seconds. Madala Hanson set the school record in the 3200m run with a time of 11:30.86. E. Heinitz also set the school record in the 400m dash with a time of :56.81.
E. Heinitz won the 100m dash and 200m dash. Hanson won the 1600m run and the 3200m run. The 4x400m relay team of Maya Heinitz, Hanson, Josie Baumberger, and E Heinitz came home champions. E. Heinitz had a second place finish in the 400m dash, and the sprint medley relay team of Courtney Brown, Baumberger, M. Heinitz, and Hanson also had a second place finish.
E. Heinitz was named the Outstanding Female Athlete at this year’s state meet.
The boys team also had a number of participants at the state meet. The Cardinals finished with two points.
Noah Dennis had an eighth place finish in the discus, and the sprint medley relay team of Lucas Flemmer, Sam Palmer, Nic Gaspar, and Connor Libis also placed eighth.
- 100m Dash – Ella Heinitz – 1st – :11.99;
- Courtney Brown – 10th – :13.05
- 4×800 Relay (Maya Heinitz, Lauren Rasmussen, Stephenie Geraets, Addy Gilbert) – 19th – 11:02.79
- 3200m Run – Madala Hanson – 1st – 11:30.86
- Discus – Jaycee Tebay – 11th – 106’0″
- 1600m Run – Madala Hanson – 1st – 5:22.15
- 4x100m Relay (Josie Baumberger, Sydney Klein, Sophie Schwebach, Courtney Brown) – 14th – :53.61
- 400m Dash – Ella Heinitz – 2nd – :56.81
- Sprint Medley Relay (Courtney Brown, Josie Baumberger, Maya Heinitz, Madala Hanson) – 2nd – 4:25.44
- 200m Dash – Ella Heinitz – 1st – :25.76
- 4x400m Relay (Maya Heinitz, Madala Hanson, Josie Baumberger, Ella Heinitz) – 1st – 4:07.46
- 4x800m Relay (Sam Palmer, Jacob Vogel, Connor Libis, Thomas Eining) – 10th – 8:57.46
- 100m Dash – Lucas Flemmer – 21st – :11.77
- 3200m Run – Jacob Vogel – 16th – 11:20.71
- Discus – Noah Dennis – 8th – 130’8″
- Sprint Medley Relay (Lucas Flemmer, Sam Palmer, Nic Gaspar, Connor Libis) – 8th – 3:50.38
- 4x400m Relay (Sam Palmer, Lucas Flemmer, Nic Gaspar, Connor Libis) – 13th – 3:41.73