After months of hard work, the 2019-2020 wrestling season came to an end for the Dell Rapids Quarriers at the 2020 South Dakota State Tournament held at the Premier Center in Sioux Falls.
Three wrestlers for the Quarriers were able to finish their season on the last day of the state tournament.
Junior Andrew Weiland lost his first consolation match of the day sending him to the 7th/8th place match. Weiland earned a big victory over Connor Hanson of Watertown in his final match of the season for 7th place in the 113 weight class.
Junior Jacob Vogel won this opening consolation match putting him the 3rd/4th place match in the 126 weight class, but Vogel fell to Darien Malone of Rapid City Stevens to place fourth.
Senior Gage Carr was also able to finish his Quarrier wrestling career on the final day of the state tournament. Carr won his opening match of the day, but fell in his second match to send him to the 5th/6th place match. Carr then lost to Kobi Terpstra of Brandon Valley to finish 6th in the 170 weight class.
Dell Rapids had a very successful 2019-2020 season. They finished 14-5 in duals throughout the season, which placed them 8th in the state to qualify for the 2020 South Dakota State Team Dual Championships. The Quarriers also had eight individuals qualify for the state tournament and had a region champion.
Individual Bracket Results
- 113: Cons. Round 3 – Truman Stoller (Madison) 38-8 won by decision over Andrew Weiland (Dell Rapids) 29-13 (Dec 8-2)
- 113: 7th Place Match – Andrew Weiland (Dell Rapids) 29-13 won by decision over Connor Hanson (Watertown) 26-18 (Dec 11-4)
- 126: Cons. Semi – Jacob Vogel (Dell Rapids) 28-5 won by decision over Clayton Donovan (Spearfish) 41-19 (Dec 2-0)
- 126: 3rd Place Match – Darien Malone (RC Stevens) 49-5 won by major decision over Jacob Vogel (Dell Rapids) 28-5 (MD 12-4)
- 170: Cons. Round 3 – Gage Carr (Dell Rapids) 34-16 won by decision over Justin Zirpel (West Central) 29-20 (Dec 7-2)
- 170: Cons. Semi – Wyatt Jungclaus (RC Central) 56-5 won by fall over Gage Carr (Dell Rapids) 34-16 (Fall 1:48)
- 170: 5th Place Match – Kobi Terpstra (Brandon Valley) 37-12 won by fall over Gage Carr (Dell Rapids) 34-16 (Fall 4:59)