PIERRE, S.D. — The South Dakota State Historical Society board of trustees recently approved 19 applications for the eight-year state historic preservation property tax moratorium for restoration and rehabilitation made to historic buildings. The projects meet the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation.
“These approvals are significant because if an historic building qualifies for the tax benefit, an eight-year delay is placed on the property tax assessment of any certified improvements,” said Jay D. Vogt, director of the State Historical Society, headquartered at the Cultural Heritage Center in Pierre. “Property tax assessments may not be increased due to certified rehabilitation of the building.”
The property tax moratorium is an incentive for owners of properties listed in the National Register of Historic Places to maintain and rehabilitate their homes and businesses, Vogt added.
For more information on how to qualify for the state historic preservation property tax moratorium, contact the State Historical Society at (605) 773-3458.
Following is a list by county of the sites approved for the property tax moratorium:
- Lockhart-Fishback House, 1001 6th Ave., Brookings
- Milwaukee Depot, 1 N. Main St., Aberdeen
- Conrad Building, 108 E. Main St., Vermillion
- Thompson Lumber Company, 15 Court St., Vermillion
- Whittier School, 410 W. 2nd Ave. SE, Mitchell
- Old South Dakota School for the Blind, 1312 Coteau St., Gary
- Marcus Beebe Mansion, 507 4th St., Ipswich
- H.M. McDonald House, 1906 E. Erskine St., Pierre
- Clark, Mullen & Munn Block (Pineview Building), 25 Lee St., Deadwood
- Dye House, 24 Adams St., Deadwood
- Masonic Temple, 809 W. Main St., Lead
- Odd Fellows Home, 100 W. 10th St., Dell Rapids
- Farley Loetscher Building, 322 & 324 E. 8th St., Sioux Falls
- Texaco Super Service, 330 S. 1st Ave., Sioux Falls
- 1301 11th St., Rapid City
- Fairmont Creamery, 201 Main St., Rapid City
- Homer House, 817 9th St., Rapid City
- Lighter House, 1815 9th St., Rapid City
- Fantles (Riverfront Event Center), 121 W. 3rd St., Yankton