Last week, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) updated its guidance for isolation and quarantine for the general population. Beginning Tuesday, January 11th DRPS will adhere to the isolation guidance that has been created for K-12 schools. Parents may choose to keep their child home the full 10 days of isolation regardless of symptoms, however, if electing to send students back after the mandatory 5-day isolation, mask use is required through day 10. Each building will have breakfast and lunch protocols that students will adhere to if the 5-day mask option is taken.
As with our entire plan, we will monitor data and initiate amendment protocols when needed.
Positive for COVID-19 and do not have symptoms:
- Isolate for 5 days and then wear a mask through day 10.
- If they develop symptoms after testing positive, the 5-day isolation period would start over. Day 0 is the first day of symptoms.
Positive for COVID-19 and have or had symptoms:
- Isolate for 5 days. Day 0 is the first day of symptoms (test date is no longer used).
- Mask worn through day 10.
- If they continue to have a fever or other symptoms have not improved after 5 days of isolation, they should wait to end isolation until they are fever-free for 24 hours without the use of fever-reducing medication and their other symptoms have improved.
Please work with building administration to determine your child’s return date. The South Dakota Department of Health also has resources and calculators available on its website. https://doh.sd.gov/COVID/