PIERRE, S.D. – Gov. Dennis Daugaard announced Friday (January 10th) that the state Board of Water and Natural Resources has approved nearly $4.82 million in grants and loans for drinking water, wastewater and watershed projects. The board met Friday over the Digital Dakota Network.
“I am pleased to announce that this money is available to assist local governments,” said Gov. Daugaard. “Grant and loan funds will result in better drinking water, improved wastewater treatment and enhanced protection of the environment.”
The $4,817,000 total includes $865,000 in grants and $3.95 million in low-interest loans.
The grants and loans awarded by the board are administered through the South Dakota Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR).
A grant was awarded to:
- Day County Conservation District, $115,000 grant for northeast glacial lakes protection
Loans were awarded to:
- Brookings, $1,570,000 loan for Division Avenue storm water management
- Dell Rapids, $1,200,000 loan for wastewater collection system improvements
- Miller, $242,000 loan for wastewater collection system improvements
- Mobridge, $400,000 loan for water tower replacement
A grant and loan package was awarded to:
- Kingbrook Rural Water System, $1,290,000 that includes a $750,000 grant and $540,000 loan to provide individual water service to Sinai residents
The grants, loans and principal forgiveness were awarded from DENR’s Consolidated Water Facilities Construction Program, Drinking Water State Revolving Fund Program and Clean Water State Revolving Fund Program.
The Consolidated Water Facilities Construction Program provides grants and loans for water, wastewater and watershed projects statewide. The Drinking Water State Revolving Fund Program provides low-interest loans for public drinking water system projects. The Clean Water State Revolving Fund Program provides low-interest loans and grants for wastewater, storm water and watershed projects.
The Legislature annually appropriates dedicated water funding for the Consolidated program through the Governor’s Omnibus Water Funding Bill.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Friday, Jan. 10, 2014
FOR MORE INFORMATION: Mike Perkovich, (605) 773-4216
FOR PROJECT DETAILS: Visit http://denr.sd.gov/bwnrapps.aspx