The Dell Rapids Chamber of Commerce partnered with the Haven program to provide a field trip for the Haven students on Monday, March 28th. The Haven students were able to travel to Sioux Falls to watch the Sioux Falls Stampede play in a scrimmage game. The Dell Rapids Chamber of Commerce donated the tickets to the event, reducing the price of the field trip to just $2.00 per child to cover transportation costs.
Each child who attended the field trip also received a free ticket to a Sioux Falls Stampede game on Sunday, April 5th.
Thirty-three Haven students and five chaperones attended the event.
The Dell Rapids Elementary School students were treated to a program by Sheltered Reality on Tuesday, April 28th. Sheltered Reality, started in 1996, uses choreographed drumming to help spread their message of “Success” to the students. The drummers for the program at Dell Rapids included six students from Dell Rapids Elementary that participate in the Haven program. The other students were from the Tea after school program.
- Take a chance to learn something new
- Never give up on hard work
- Do whatever it takes
- Be legit – own who you are and be proud of it
The entire assembly was webcasted and can be viewed on the webcast page in the archive section.
Butter Braids come in seven scrumptious flavors: Cinnamon, Blueberry-Cream Cheese, Strawberry-Cream Cheese, Apple, Bavarian Crème, Cherry & Carmel Rolls. Loaves sell for $11 each and are perfect for family get-togethers, holiday events or gifts! They are extremely convenient to store and easy to make. Loaves come frozen, and need to stay frozen until ready to use. To make, simply unthaw on a greased pan for 8-12 hours, then bake for approximately 20 minutes to produce a delicious breakfast or dessert entrée. Butter Braids are 22 oz and contain 0 grams of trans-fat.
Place your order by November 7 with any Haven staff member, board member, participating family, or by calling 366-8612.
Orders will be ready for pick-up on Thursday, November 20 from 3:00-6:00pm; just in time for the holidays!
During the Dell Rapids School Board meeting on Monday, September 8th, an update to the Dell Rapids Community Haven inclement weather policy was reported to the school board. According to Haven Director Jessica Ostwald, they have had many requests to be open more during inclement weather, and because of those requests, the school attorney had to be included in those discussions. Haven was then informed they cannot be open when school starts late, gets out early, or is cancelled due to weather. The Dell Rapids Community Haven program operates under the auspice of the Dell Rapids School District, therefore, Haven must follow the same guidelines as all school employees. The change to policy will take effect immediately.
Here is the new policy:
HOURS OF OPERATION
- Before School Program:
- Operates each day public school is in session starting at 6:45 am.
- If the Dell Rapids School District announces a “late start” on a particular day due to the weather or other emergency, the Before School Program will be closed.
- After School Program:
- Operates each day public school is in session until 6:00 pm.
- The After School Program will be open on all public school scheduled early dismissal days beginning when school is dismissed until 6:00 pm. (The after school fee for early release day will be determined based on the number of hours of operation.).
- If the Dell Rapids School District announces “early dismissal” due to inclement weather, the After School Program will be closed.
- The Haven Program will be closed on snow days.
- Administration may close program for severe weather or other emergencies. Parents will be contacted to pick-up their child as soon as possible.