Monday, March 18th
• Happy Birthday to Ellie F. (14th) and Makayla D. (Mon)!!
• Lunch: Macaroni and Cheese OR Breaded Beef Patty Sandwich
- Attention all students: Please be aware of where you are parking. Do not park in front of any mailboxes, fire hydrants or too close to driveways. Please remember you cannot park within 12 feet of an intersection or crosswalk or 15 feet of a fire hydrant. Also, with this amount of snow, it may be hard to find a parking spot that is close to the curb but this does not allow you to park in the middle of the road. Blocking the traffic is very dangerous and should be avoided at all times.
- You didn’t miss out on the mini-donuts last week because we did not have school. The FFA has rescheduled the sale of hot and fresh mini-donuts for tomorrow morning before school. You can purchase 6 donuts for $2 in the shop area.
- Attention 6th – 11th graders: If you are interested in trying out for the next years competitive cheer team there will be an informational meeting on March 20 @ 3:30 in the MS commons. Tryout practice will be held March 27 from 1:30-3:30 with tryouts on March 29 @ 3:30.
- Sideline Cheer tryouts – there will be an informational meeting on Wednesday, March 20 at 3:30 in the Middle School Commons. If you are interested in participating in sideline cheer during the 2019-2020 school year, please sign up in the office.
- Dell Rapids Softball players: It is that time of year again to sign up for girls’ softball before March 31st! Registration is now open. More information can be found in the high school office. Please register today at www.dellrapidssoftball.com
- Signup for the 2019 Dell Rapids baseball season is now open. Please go to www.dellrapidsbaseball.com to get signed up for baseball prior to March 15th.
- Seniors – please submit your baby photo to DRHSNews@gmail.com by April 1st. Other photos from your time in school are also welcome.
- If you have questions, please contact Mrs. Gleason. Volunteers from the senior class will create the slide show. IF you have an opinion about what should be in the slide show at graduation, please sign up.
- Please stop in the high school office for a David’s Bridal prom coupon.
- Summer and Fall dual credit application window is open – please see Mrs. Ruesink if you have questions.
- JR Alterations, here in town, is available for dress alterations. Please know that in order to get any alterations for prom the latest she can accept dresses is 3 weeks prior.
- Support your school’s After Prom by ordering your corsage and boutonniere at any Sioux Falls Hy-Vee and they will donate 10% to your After Prom program. Be sure to tell your florist the name of your school while ordering your flowers. Thanks for your support!
- Attention Juniors & Seniors: South Dakota Youth Trooper Academy is looking for juniors/seniors (male and female) who have an interest in law enforcement. The South Dakota Youth Trooper Academy is held in Pierre from June 24-June 28. If interested, see Mrs. Ruesink for more information.
- Do you have old reading glasses you are no longer using? Marcus Van Dam is having a reading glasses and glass case drive. Donations can be dropped off in both the middle school and high school office and will be picked up on April 8th. These donations will be delivered to South Dakota Rehabilitation Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired.
- The post prom party has been planned to ensure that our students have a safe and fun activity following prom. The post prom party will be held at the Dell Rapids High School where we will provide entertainment, along with many games, activities, prizes and food. Please encourage your student to participate in this activity. The deadline to register for the post prom party is April 19th. The $30 fee must be paid at the time of registration. Checks should be payable to DRHS Post Prom. To sign up, students can turn in the fee and the required permission form, signed by a parent/guardian to the high school office.
- Attention Students: Dell Rapids American Legion Auxiliary is hosting a Poppy Poster Contest, for more information please see Eve in the high school office or Ms. Gengler. Entries due in the office by April 16th.
- Young Hearts Cardiac Screening is returning to DRPS on Thursday, March 28th. The screening includes a limited echocardiogram, 12 lead EKG, health history, and blood pressure check, all which are reviewed by a local Board Certified Cardiologist. Thousands of young people needlessly die each year from Sudden Cardiac Death. This potentially life-saving screening is only $89 and scholarships may be available as well as a sibling discount. The screening is open to anyone between the ages of 12-34, not just athletes. Screenings are easy, painless, and take approximately 20 minutes. Registration and additional information can be found at screening-america.com. Screenings must be scheduled in advanced with Screening America however your child’s screening will take place at the school. Please call the district office if you have additional questions.
- There will be a quick girls golf meeting for any High School or Middle School girls interested in High School golf Tuesday March 19th (tomorrow). Meeting will be at the elementary gym at 3:35. Coach Tjaden
- The City of Dell Rapids is currently accepting applications for summer positions both Pool (Life gaurd, Basket Clerks) and Public Works Mowing positions. The Applications are due on March 8th. Please see Eve in the High School office for more information.
Monday, March 18th
• Happy Belated Birthday to Emily M and Hunter H.!! Happy Birthday to Jaxon C. (Mon)!!
• Lunch today will be choices of: Sloppy Joes or Breakfast for Lunch
- ATTENTION 5TH GRADE STUDENTS: If you would like to read morning announcements, please sign up in the office.
- Attention 6th – 11th graders: If you are interested in trying out for next year’s competitive cheer team there will be an informational meeting on March 20 @ 3:30 in the MS Commons. Tryout practice will be held March 27 from 1:30-3:30 with tryouts on March 29 @3:30.
- High School Sideline Cheer tryouts – there will be a mandatory informational meeting on Wednesday, March 20 at 3:30 in the Middle School Commons. Any 8th grader interested in participating in high school sideline cheer during the 2019-2020 school year must sign up in the office by Tuesday, March 19.
- Attention Students: Dell Rapids American Legion Auxiliary is hosting a Poppy Poster Contest, for more information please see your homeroom teacher or Ms. Gengler. Entries due in the office by April 16th.
- Attention Students and Staff: HS Senior Marcus VanDam is hosting a project for one of his classes and is asking for donations of GLASSES AND GLASS CASES. There is a donation box in the office. Donations will be picked up on April 8th. All donations will be delivered to SD Rehabilitation Center for the blind and visually impaired.
- Attention girls and boys 7th & 8th graders: There is a middle school track sign up sheet in the office. There will be a meeting this Wednesday at 3:00 in the middle school commons. See you then!
Superior Plus ratings were earned by Ella Lueders in Serious, and Libby Clark in Poetry. Clark had three 1st places and a perfect 90. The duo of Jay Holm and Lueders also earned a Superior Plus rating with two 1st places, a 2nd place, and an 88.
Superior ratings were earned by Tim Jaycox and Morgan Nemmers in Humor, Erin Larsen in Oratory, Sage Shellum, Cariss Montgomery, and Brooke Hawthorne in Drama, and the duo team of Maggie Moore and Hawthorne.
Excellent Plus ratings went to Bergen Weiland and Abby Stauffenecker in Drama, and Paige Krumm in Poetry.
The team will perform again on Saturday, October 8th, at Roosevelt High School.
The Dell Rapids and Dell Rapids St Mary Homecoming Royalties have been announced for the 2014 Homecoming. This year’s Homecoming for both schools will be the week of September 29th – Oct 3rd.
Dell Rapids St Mary Homecoming Royalty:
- Brandi Wolles
- Claudia Schwebach
- Ally Mullaney
- Wes Heinricy
- Noel Hansen
- Mitch Brown
**Coronation will be held on Monday, September 29th, at 7:00 p.m.
Dell Rapids Homecoming Royalty:
- Taylor Brown
- Meg Dearduff
- Baily Munk
- Jessica Tisher
- Adam Karst
- Tanner Ljunggren
- Riley Schmidt
- Andrew Wiebenga
**Coronation on Monday, September 29th will be changed from 7:30pm to 8:00pm. Please share that time change with your family and friends.
Dell Rapids Public Schools will be holding registrations starting on Monday, August 11th, and will continue on Tuesday, August 12th. The Senior class registration will be on Monday from 9:oo a.m. until 12:00 p.m. The Junior class registration will also be on Monday from 1:00 p.m. until 4:00 p.m. A mandatory Parent/Student meeting for fall sport participants in grades 7-12 will also be held on Monday at 6:30 p.m. in the high school gym.
Registration will continue on Tuesday with elementary student registration at the elementary school from 7:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. Sophomore class registration will be held from 9:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m. 5th grade registration will also be held from 9:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m. at the middle school. Freshman registration will run from 1:00 p.m. until 4:00 p.m at the high school while grades 6-8 registration will be held from 1:00 p.m. until 4:00 p.m. at the middle school.
Open houses for Dell Rapids public will take place on Tuesday, August 26th. The elementary school open house will be from 5:30 p.m. until 6:30 p.m. The 5th grade open house will be held from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. in the high school gym. Open house for grades 6-8 will be held in the home room classrooms also from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. on August 26th.
The first day of school is Wednesday, August 27th.
Complete school supply lists can be found by clicking the links:
Since 2013 the Minnehaha Funeral Home, of Baltic, Colton, Dell Rapids, and Garretson, South Dakota, has awarded a $500 scholarship to one graduating high school senior from each of the high schools in our area. Minnehaha Funeral Home has always prided itself in its community involvement, and these scholarships will continue that focus. In addition to academic information, applicants were asked to submit an essay on how ethics and morals impacted their daily life. Recipients were chosen by a five person committee made up from the funeral home’s board of directors. We are pleased to announce that the 2014 recipients of the Minnehaha Funeral Home Scholarship of:
- Baltic High School-Shi Almont
- Chester Area High School-Adam Anderson
- Dell Rapids High School-Michael Mitchell
- Dell Rapids St. Mary High School-Kiley Reecy
- Garretson High School-Conner Blosmo
- Tri-Valley High School-Clark Haugen
Dell Rapids High School held its National Honor Society Awards Banquet on Monday, May 12th, at the Dell Rapids Lutheran Church.
Below are the list of winners:
- Bausch & Lomb Science Award—Jessica Tisher
- George Eastman Young Leadership Award—Sarah Haak
- Frederick Douglas Susan B. Anthony Award—Melanie Wilke
- Trent Area Scholarship—Madie Vietor, Ben Hinricher, and Jacob Huewe
- American Legion Scholarship—Tia McKillip
- Minnehaha Funeral Home Scholarship—Michael Mitchell
- David Schmidt Memorial Scholarship—Sheridan Skinner
- Golden West Scholarship—Tia McKillip
- Dan Daugaard Scholarship—Jackson Gleason
- DREA Scholarship—Mallory Luke & Jacob Habeger
- PEO Scholarship—Lexi Snyder
- DR Lions Club Scholarship—Lexi Snyder
- Jerry Hoftiezer Memorial Scholarship—Michael Mitchell & Ben Hinricher
- DR Forward Youth Scholarship—Victoria Murphy & Lexi Snyder
- Jeremy Baum “Hope” Scholarship—Alexis Damm
- Wyatt Ammon Scholarship—Brock Reinhiller
- Regina Evans “Grandma” Scholarship—Jonathan DeNoon
- Gloria Beck Scholarship—Tia McKillip
- Woody Yaroch Memorial Scholarship—Taiven Logan
- Bernice & Henry Speh Scholarship—Kenaniah Swenson & Zane Schumacher
- John Solem Scholarship—Tia McKillip, Jonathan DeNoon, Matthew DeNoon & Lexi Snyder
National Honor Society Awards—
- NHS Teacher of the Year—Jann Saxon
- NHS Friend of Education—LuAnn Heidebrink
Sports Recognition & Awards Night Awards:
- Ron Berg—FB Jacob Habeger & Cody Nielsen
- WR Austin Eulberg & Brock Reinhiller
- WR State Champion: Leon Maxwell
- Zach Leighton “Believe” Scholarship-Cody Nielsen, Andy Scherff, Zach Schroeder, & Mikaela Adams
- Michael Entringer Scholarship—Cody Nielsen & Michael Mitchell
- Scholar Athletes: Lexi Snyder & Cody Nielsen
- Quarrier Athlete of the Year: Michaela Stofferahn & Zach Schroeder
Booster of the Year—Kevin & Jeanine Schnieders
The Dell Rapids one-act play cast earned a 3rd place finish at the Region 3A competition held in Brandon on Thursday, January 30th. Outstanding acting awards were earned by by Taiven Logan and Michael Mitchell with a three-for-three sweep from the judges. Alec Riswold also earned an outstanding actor award from two out of the three judges. Jessica Tisher earned a nomination from one judge.
“Connections for a Healthy Community”
Dell Rapids Connections is a group of community partners including the Dell Rapids Public School, Dell Rapids St Mary School, the Dell Rapids Ministerial Association, and community members. The mission is “connecting families to community resources.”
Dell Rapids Connections seeks to:
- Empower families to make healthy decisions
- Enhance awareness of community resources
- Provide education and support to families
- Provide opportunities to improve/foster healthy relationships
Upcoming September and October Events:
- Restoration Generation
- Dell Rapids Public and Dell Rapids St Mary MS/HS School Assembly and Evening Community Concert
- National Suicide Awareness Day
September Teaching Staff Goal: Assist Suicide Prevention Training
October 20th – 4:00 to 6:30 p.m.
- “To Save a Life” movie at Old 77 – Parent viewing
October 23rd – 6:30 to 9:00 p.m.
- “To Save a Life” movie at Old 77 – 7th through 12th grade viewing