Tuesday, March 20th
• Happy Birthday to Amy M. (Mon) and Morgan B. (Mon)!!
• Lunch: Macaroni & Cheese, Pizza or Grilling Station
- Drama Students: Please turn in your shirt orders and money to Mr. Mitchell by tomorrow. Thanks.
- It is time to register for the Post Prom Party! An information letter and the registration form can be found on the school website. Turn in your registration form and $25 fee to the high school office in March to get 10 extra chances to win.
- Seniors: Your composites are here and available to purchase. The price for an 8×10 is $10. The price for a 10×13 is $15. Please pick up order forms in the high school office. The due date for this will be March 23rd.
- Student Council meeting today over lunch in the Spanish Room.
- There will be a mandatory meeting for anyone who will be in volleyball (next year’s 9th-12th grade) on Wednesday, March 21st at 8am in Mrs. Ahlers room.
- Thursday is the yearbook spring group photo day. If you are in one of the groups below, please come to the main gym at your scheduled time. Most photos take about 10 minutes each. If you have questions, please let me know. We hope to have all photos complete by 1:50.
- 12:11 Publications
- 12: 20 Spring Band
- 12:30 FCA
- 12:40 FCCLA (includes middle school members)
- 1pm Spring Choir
- 1:10 Espresso Choir
- Drivers Education class will take place during the months of June and July. The classroom portion is scheduled for May 29-June 1 from 8:00am – 4:00 pm. The students will be responsible for lunch during 12:00-12:30 each day. The Dell Rapids FFA will be providing lunch for interested students for $6 each day. The fee for the Driver Education program is $160. Registration and sign-up for the driving portion will be Friday, April 20th at 7:45am in the middle school commons on a first-serve basis. Students will pay the fee at this time and are encouraged to check their summer schedule for any conflicts. Parents are not required to accompany their child to sign up. Student who have completed 7th grade and will be 14 years old on or before Oct. 1, 2018, will be allowed to sign up for Drivers Education. If you have any further questions please call 428-5473 ext. 5.
- South Dakota Highway Patrol is taking applications for the South Dakota Youth Trooper Academy. This runs from June 25-29th. This is open for juniors and seniors who are interested in law enforcement careers. See Deputy Walker or Mrs. Ruesink for further details and/or applications. The applications are due March 23rd and there are only 24 spots available for the entire state.
- Girls interested in playing High School golf, there will be a meeting at the Dell Rapids Elementary gym on Wednesday March 28th at 3:30. Contact Coach Tjaden with questions.
- March 28th there will be a side line and competitive cheer tryout informational meeting.
- If you are interested in becoming a health and wellness leader in your community here is your chance. The South Dakota Teen Ambassador program is having a health and wellness summit at The Days Inn on April 5th-6th for ages 13-17.
- If you are interested in playing soccer next fall, please sign up in the high school office.
- Seniors: Please email your candid photos and videos to firstname.lastname@example.org to be used for yearbook purposes and the graduation video.
- There is information on signing up for a girls softball team. Softball divisions are available for girls 5 and up. Registration is now open atwww.dellrapidssoftball.com Registration deadline is March 25th or a late fee will be applied and your placement in a team will not be guaranteed. For more information please see the handout in the high school office.
- Attention Juniors – Summer dual credit applications are available in Mrs. Ruesink’s office.
- Attention students: If you have a negative balance in your lunch account you are not permitted to take a la cart items unless you are paying cash for them at checkout.
- There are $40 off coupons for The French Door in the high school office for Prom. If you are interested, please stop in and see Eve.
- Ladies: If you purchase your dress at Bridal Gallery please see Brianna Ruth or Eve for a coupon for a free garter or earrings at the time of purchase.
- If you would like to do some prom dress shopping at David’s Bridal, you can stop in the High School office and grab a coupon from Eve.
- Parents: This year the Dell Rapids High School Prom will be April 28th. The Post Prom Committee is dedicated to creating a safe, fun and drug-and alcohol-free event after prom and would appreciate any monetary contribution to sponsor this worthwhile activity. Contributions may be sent to Tracie Price. All donations are greatly appreciated and go directly to the youth that attend the post prom event. All information regarding the Post Prom schedule, as well as the registration forms are on the school website http://dr-k12.org after March 1st.
- Are you interested in learning more about other countries and cultures? The 2018 Lions Youth Exchange Camp will be held in Sioux Falls July 15-21 at Augustana University. 25 youth exchange students from around the world will attend the camp, and 20 youth from North and South Dakota will be selected to attend. Cost of the camp is $400, which includes all food, lodging, and activities. This is a unique opportunity to develop meaningful relationships with students from around the world. Host families are also needed. International students will arrive July 8, 2018 and depart July 28th. Host families provide a place for the student to live before and after the youth camp, as well as help the student learn more about American culture. For more information, visit www.sdlions.org/youthcamp or call Jennifer at 338-0551.
- Summer Jobs:
- Jellystone Park is excepting applications for the 2018 season. Interested? Apply in person at I90, exit 402 or email at email@example.com and they will send you an application.
- Heinemann Restoration is hiring for general labor positions. Must be 18 years of age.
- Summer pollinating positions in DuPont Pioneer in Volga. Application due no later June 20th. Please go on their website firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dell Rapids Baseball Association is looking for umpires for the summer baseball season for the 12U and 10U age groups. Games are mostly on Monday and Wednesday evenings. There may be some games on other nights depending on field availability or weather postponements. The season will begin on May 14th and end on July 8th. Umpires must be at least 13-years-old as of January 1st, 2018. Payment is $20.00/game for home plate, $15.00/game for bases. You’ll receive payment the night of umpiring the game. For more information or for any questions, please contact Matt Larson at 605-212-5795. Online signup to be an umpire is at www.dellrapidsbaseball.com. The form is towards the bottom of the home page.
- 2018 American Legion Auxiliary South Dakota Girls State – applications are available in Mrs. Ruesink’s office
Who: Open to junior girls
What: Particpants experience government at the city, county and state levels.
Where and When: Located at University of South Dakota in Vermillion, SD from May 29-June 2
Students are assigned to a mythical city,county and political party. Each student has the opportunity to run for office, campaign, vote and listen to a variety of speakers and participate in various recreational activities. Girls State is a great resume builder and student can earn college credit.
Deadline: Applications due to Mrs. Ruesink by March 15
- 2018 American Legion Boys State – applications are available in Mrs. Ruesink’s office
Who: Open to junior boys
What: Participants will understand and appreciate the American system of government including the rights and responsibilities of citizenship.
When and Where: Located at Northern State University in Aberdeen, SD from May 28- June 1
Students will learn public speaking, create and enforce laws and actively participate in all phases of creating and running a working government.
Deadline: Friday, April 1st
Thursday, March 15th
• Happy Birthday to Reece K. (Mon), Emily M. (Wed), Makayla D. (Sun), and Jaxon C. (Sun)!!
• 5th/6th Lunch today will be choices of: Bosco Sticks with Marinara Sauce or Teriyaki Chicken Sandwich
• 7th/8th Lunch today will be choices of: Bosco Sticks with Marinara Sauce, Pizza or Grilling Station
- Attention 5th Graders: If you’d like to read announcements next quarter, please sign up in the office.
- 7th and 8th grade students, are you interested in a career in the medical field? Southeast Technical Institute in Sioux Falls is hosting a middle school medical careers camp on May 7 for 7th and 8th grade students. It will be an opportunity to explore STI’s medical programs and learn how you can start specializing your coursework and set your future for success as soon as high school. See Ms. Telkamp if interested.
- Attention Wrestlers: Please turn in your wrestling equipment ASAP to Coach Jorgensen’s room. Thank You!
- Attention 5th and 6th grade boys: Dell Rapids Little League Baseball registration should be completed online today.
- Dell Rapids Softball forms are available in the office or from your homeroom teacher. Registration is now open at www.dellrapidssoftball.com. In order to be guaranteed a spot on a team this year, you must be registered by March 25th.
- DRMS Yearbook order forms are in the office. Payment & form are due by March 26th.
- 7th and 8th graders: DRMS YEARBOOK CLUB will meet again next week from March 19-23 from 3:20-4:30 in Mrs. Gleason’s high school classroom. Mrs. Gleason will meet you after school in the Commons. You must have a signed permission slip and a Chromebook to participate.
- 5th and 6th grade band students, please check the lesson schedule for this week.
- 5th and 6th grade band students who are doing solos can come down during study hall for more help this week.
- 5th and 6th grade band students: please take your instruments home this weekend and remember to bring them back on Monday.
- Attention 7th and 8th grade girls: If you are interested in playing soccer next school year, please sign up in the office by the end of the day today.
- Attention 7th and 8th grade students: If you are interested in playing golf this spring, please sign up in the office. There will be a meeting on March 21st @ 3:30 with the first practice being Thursday March 22nd.
- There will be a mandatory meeting for anyone who will be in volleyball (next year’s 9th-12th grade) next Wednesday, March 21st at 8am in Mrs. Ahlers room.
- Attention 7th and 8th grade students: If you are interested in going out for track this spring, please sign up in the office. There will be a meeting on March 20th @ 3pm with the first practice being Thursday, March 22nd.
- Girls interested in playing High School golf, there will be a meeting at the Dell Rapids Elementary gym on Wednesday March 28th at 3:30. Contact Coach Tjaden with questions.
- Good Luck to the 7/8 quiz bowl team as they travel to Elk Point Jefferson today. Dismiss at 1:10pm for a 1:15 bus time.
- Attention 6th graders: Are you ready for Battle of the Books on Monday, March 19th? Today is the last day to bring your teams down to study in the library!
- Attention 5th graders: You have one week left to study for your Battle of the Books which is on Monday, March 26th!
Superior Plus ratings were earned by Ella Lueders in Serious, and Libby Clark in Poetry. Clark had three 1st places and a perfect 90. The duo of Jay Holm and Lueders also earned a Superior Plus rating with two 1st places, a 2nd place, and an 88.
Superior ratings were earned by Tim Jaycox and Morgan Nemmers in Humor, Erin Larsen in Oratory, Sage Shellum, Cariss Montgomery, and Brooke Hawthorne in Drama, and the duo team of Maggie Moore and Hawthorne.
Excellent Plus ratings went to Bergen Weiland and Abby Stauffenecker in Drama, and Paige Krumm in Poetry.
The team will perform again on Saturday, October 8th, at Roosevelt High School.
The Dell Rapids and Dell Rapids St Mary Homecoming Royalties have been announced for the 2014 Homecoming. This year’s Homecoming for both schools will be the week of September 29th – Oct 3rd.
Dell Rapids St Mary Homecoming Royalty:
- Brandi Wolles
- Claudia Schwebach
- Ally Mullaney
- Wes Heinricy
- Noel Hansen
- Mitch Brown
**Coronation will be held on Monday, September 29th, at 7:00 p.m.
Dell Rapids Homecoming Royalty:
- Taylor Brown
- Meg Dearduff
- Baily Munk
- Jessica Tisher
- Adam Karst
- Tanner Ljunggren
- Riley Schmidt
- Andrew Wiebenga
**Coronation on Monday, September 29th will be changed from 7:30pm to 8:00pm. Please share that time change with your family and friends.
Dell Rapids Public Schools will be holding registrations starting on Monday, August 11th, and will continue on Tuesday, August 12th. The Senior class registration will be on Monday from 9:oo a.m. until 12:00 p.m. The Junior class registration will also be on Monday from 1:00 p.m. until 4:00 p.m. A mandatory Parent/Student meeting for fall sport participants in grades 7-12 will also be held on Monday at 6:30 p.m. in the high school gym.
Registration will continue on Tuesday with elementary student registration at the elementary school from 7:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. Sophomore class registration will be held from 9:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m. 5th grade registration will also be held from 9:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m. at the middle school. Freshman registration will run from 1:00 p.m. until 4:00 p.m at the high school while grades 6-8 registration will be held from 1:00 p.m. until 4:00 p.m. at the middle school.
Open houses for Dell Rapids public will take place on Tuesday, August 26th. The elementary school open house will be from 5:30 p.m. until 6:30 p.m. The 5th grade open house will be held from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. in the high school gym. Open house for grades 6-8 will be held in the home room classrooms also from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. on August 26th.
The first day of school is Wednesday, August 27th.
Complete school supply lists can be found by clicking the links:
Since 2013 the Minnehaha Funeral Home, of Baltic, Colton, Dell Rapids, and Garretson, South Dakota, has awarded a $500 scholarship to one graduating high school senior from each of the high schools in our area. Minnehaha Funeral Home has always prided itself in its community involvement, and these scholarships will continue that focus. In addition to academic information, applicants were asked to submit an essay on how ethics and morals impacted their daily life. Recipients were chosen by a five person committee made up from the funeral home’s board of directors. We are pleased to announce that the 2014 recipients of the Minnehaha Funeral Home Scholarship of:
- Baltic High School-Shi Almont
- Chester Area High School-Adam Anderson
- Dell Rapids High School-Michael Mitchell
- Dell Rapids St. Mary High School-Kiley Reecy
- Garretson High School-Conner Blosmo
- Tri-Valley High School-Clark Haugen
Dell Rapids High School held its National Honor Society Awards Banquet on Monday, May 12th, at the Dell Rapids Lutheran Church.
Below are the list of winners:
- Bausch & Lomb Science Award—Jessica Tisher
- George Eastman Young Leadership Award—Sarah Haak
- Frederick Douglas Susan B. Anthony Award—Melanie Wilke
- Trent Area Scholarship—Madie Vietor, Ben Hinricher, and Jacob Huewe
- American Legion Scholarship—Tia McKillip
- Minnehaha Funeral Home Scholarship—Michael Mitchell
- David Schmidt Memorial Scholarship—Sheridan Skinner
- Golden West Scholarship—Tia McKillip
- Dan Daugaard Scholarship—Jackson Gleason
- DREA Scholarship—Mallory Luke & Jacob Habeger
- PEO Scholarship—Lexi Snyder
- DR Lions Club Scholarship—Lexi Snyder
- Jerry Hoftiezer Memorial Scholarship—Michael Mitchell & Ben Hinricher
- DR Forward Youth Scholarship—Victoria Murphy & Lexi Snyder
- Jeremy Baum “Hope” Scholarship—Alexis Damm
- Wyatt Ammon Scholarship—Brock Reinhiller
- Regina Evans “Grandma” Scholarship—Jonathan DeNoon
- Gloria Beck Scholarship—Tia McKillip
- Woody Yaroch Memorial Scholarship—Taiven Logan
- Bernice & Henry Speh Scholarship—Kenaniah Swenson & Zane Schumacher
- John Solem Scholarship—Tia McKillip, Jonathan DeNoon, Matthew DeNoon & Lexi Snyder
National Honor Society Awards—
- NHS Teacher of the Year—Jann Saxon
- NHS Friend of Education—LuAnn Heidebrink
Sports Recognition & Awards Night Awards:
- Ron Berg—FB Jacob Habeger & Cody Nielsen
- WR Austin Eulberg & Brock Reinhiller
- WR State Champion: Leon Maxwell
- Zach Leighton “Believe” Scholarship-Cody Nielsen, Andy Scherff, Zach Schroeder, & Mikaela Adams
- Michael Entringer Scholarship—Cody Nielsen & Michael Mitchell
- Scholar Athletes: Lexi Snyder & Cody Nielsen
- Quarrier Athlete of the Year: Michaela Stofferahn & Zach Schroeder
Booster of the Year—Kevin & Jeanine Schnieders
The Dell Rapids one-act play cast earned a 3rd place finish at the Region 3A competition held in Brandon on Thursday, January 30th. Outstanding acting awards were earned by by Taiven Logan and Michael Mitchell with a three-for-three sweep from the judges. Alec Riswold also earned an outstanding actor award from two out of the three judges. Jessica Tisher earned a nomination from one judge.
“Connections for a Healthy Community”
Dell Rapids Connections is a group of community partners including the Dell Rapids Public School, Dell Rapids St Mary School, the Dell Rapids Ministerial Association, and community members. The mission is “connecting families to community resources.”
Dell Rapids Connections seeks to:
- Empower families to make healthy decisions
- Enhance awareness of community resources
- Provide education and support to families
- Provide opportunities to improve/foster healthy relationships
Upcoming September and October Events:
- Restoration Generation
- Dell Rapids Public and Dell Rapids St Mary MS/HS School Assembly and Evening Community Concert
- National Suicide Awareness Day
September Teaching Staff Goal: Assist Suicide Prevention Training
October 20th – 4:00 to 6:30 p.m.
- “To Save a Life” movie at Old 77 – Parent viewing
October 23rd – 6:30 to 9:00 p.m.
- “To Save a Life” movie at Old 77 – 7th through 12th grade viewing