Wednesday, January 16th
• Happy Birthday to Aaron S. (Tue), Mr Bunkers (Tue), Mr. Docken (Tue), and Asher L. (Wed)!!
• Lunch: Rito In-cog-neato OR Pork Fritter Sandwich
- The library will only be open from 12:50-1:55 today.
- Attention all students: Please be aware of where you are parking. Do not park in front of any mailboxes, fire hydrants or too close to driveways. Be remember you cannot park within 12 feet of an intersection or crosswalk or 15 feet of a fire hydrant.
- Attention TATU members: our T-shirts have been ordered, please pay $5.00 to Mr. Welbig as soon as possible.
- Sioux Falls Specialty Hospital is hosting a Career Day on Saturday, January 26th. This event is open to juniors and senior high school students looking to pursue a career in the healthcare field. Two sessions will be held 9-11 AM and 11-1 PM (registration is required). Students will tour the operating room, post recovery area and patient rooms, talk to nursing staff, surgical techs, radiology tech, and health care administration. Students will also have the opportunity to discuss healthcare career paths with several surrounding colleges and universities. If interested – please see Mrs. Ruesink for more information.
- The Post Prom Committee will be hosting a fundraiser at the Pizza Ranch here in Dell Rapids to help raise money for the post prom activities. Please come out Monday, January 21st from 5:00-8:00pm and support our Post Prom Committee and help raise 10% of sales and tips in house, buffet and carry out orders qualify. See you there!
- Raven Industries is hosting the 2019 Engineering Career Day on Thursday, January 24th. This event is an interactive, educational program for high school students centered around engineering. Students will gain exposure to business leaders, hear from Raven team members, and explore real-life applications of the various disciplines of engineering. Please see Mrs. Ruesink if you are interested in registering for this event.
- Please stop in the high school office for a David’s Bridal prom coupon.
- JR Alterations, here in town, is available for dress alterations. Please know that in order to get any alterations for prom the latest she can accept dresses is 3 weeks prior.
Wednesday, January 16th
• Happy Birthday to Bennett O. (Wed)!!
• Lunch today will be choices of: Cheeseburger Macaroni Skillet or Pork Fritter Sandwich
- ATTENTION 6th GRADE STUDENTS: If you would like to read morning announcements, please sign up in the office.
- Attention TATU members: our T-shirts have been ordered, please pay $5.00 to Mr. Hegge as soon as possible.
- The library will only be open from 12:50-1:55 today.
- DRMS would like to announce and congratulate the Students of the Month for January. These individuals have demonstrated positive behavior reflective of the Pillars of Character: trustworthiness, responsible, respectful, fair, good citizenship, and are caring individuals. Thanks to Lunchtime Solutions, Video Plus and Pizza Ranch, Students of the Month will receive gift certificates for these places!
Congratulations to our January Students of the Month:
- 5th Grade – Parker Z. & Cole H.
- 6th Grade – Alana L. & Marie M.
- 7th Grade – Trevor M. & Emily M.
- 8th Grade – Kamren K. & Mason R.
Superior Plus ratings were earned by Ella Lueders in Serious, and Libby Clark in Poetry. Clark had three 1st places and a perfect 90. The duo of Jay Holm and Lueders also earned a Superior Plus rating with two 1st places, a 2nd place, and an 88.
Superior ratings were earned by Tim Jaycox and Morgan Nemmers in Humor, Erin Larsen in Oratory, Sage Shellum, Cariss Montgomery, and Brooke Hawthorne in Drama, and the duo team of Maggie Moore and Hawthorne.
Excellent Plus ratings went to Bergen Weiland and Abby Stauffenecker in Drama, and Paige Krumm in Poetry.
The team will perform again on Saturday, October 8th, at Roosevelt High School.
The Dell Rapids and Dell Rapids St Mary Homecoming Royalties have been announced for the 2014 Homecoming. This year’s Homecoming for both schools will be the week of September 29th – Oct 3rd.
Dell Rapids St Mary Homecoming Royalty:
- Brandi Wolles
- Claudia Schwebach
- Ally Mullaney
- Wes Heinricy
- Noel Hansen
- Mitch Brown
**Coronation will be held on Monday, September 29th, at 7:00 p.m.
Dell Rapids Homecoming Royalty:
- Taylor Brown
- Meg Dearduff
- Baily Munk
- Jessica Tisher
- Adam Karst
- Tanner Ljunggren
- Riley Schmidt
- Andrew Wiebenga
**Coronation on Monday, September 29th will be changed from 7:30pm to 8:00pm. Please share that time change with your family and friends.
Dell Rapids Public Schools will be holding registrations starting on Monday, August 11th, and will continue on Tuesday, August 12th. The Senior class registration will be on Monday from 9:oo a.m. until 12:00 p.m. The Junior class registration will also be on Monday from 1:00 p.m. until 4:00 p.m. A mandatory Parent/Student meeting for fall sport participants in grades 7-12 will also be held on Monday at 6:30 p.m. in the high school gym.
Registration will continue on Tuesday with elementary student registration at the elementary school from 7:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. Sophomore class registration will be held from 9:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m. 5th grade registration will also be held from 9:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m. at the middle school. Freshman registration will run from 1:00 p.m. until 4:00 p.m at the high school while grades 6-8 registration will be held from 1:00 p.m. until 4:00 p.m. at the middle school.
Open houses for Dell Rapids public will take place on Tuesday, August 26th. The elementary school open house will be from 5:30 p.m. until 6:30 p.m. The 5th grade open house will be held from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. in the high school gym. Open house for grades 6-8 will be held in the home room classrooms also from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. on August 26th.
The first day of school is Wednesday, August 27th.
Complete school supply lists can be found by clicking the links:
Since 2013 the Minnehaha Funeral Home, of Baltic, Colton, Dell Rapids, and Garretson, South Dakota, has awarded a $500 scholarship to one graduating high school senior from each of the high schools in our area. Minnehaha Funeral Home has always prided itself in its community involvement, and these scholarships will continue that focus. In addition to academic information, applicants were asked to submit an essay on how ethics and morals impacted their daily life. Recipients were chosen by a five person committee made up from the funeral home’s board of directors. We are pleased to announce that the 2014 recipients of the Minnehaha Funeral Home Scholarship of:
- Baltic High School-Shi Almont
- Chester Area High School-Adam Anderson
- Dell Rapids High School-Michael Mitchell
- Dell Rapids St. Mary High School-Kiley Reecy
- Garretson High School-Conner Blosmo
- Tri-Valley High School-Clark Haugen
Dell Rapids High School held its National Honor Society Awards Banquet on Monday, May 12th, at the Dell Rapids Lutheran Church.
Below are the list of winners:
- Bausch & Lomb Science Award—Jessica Tisher
- George Eastman Young Leadership Award—Sarah Haak
- Frederick Douglas Susan B. Anthony Award—Melanie Wilke
- Trent Area Scholarship—Madie Vietor, Ben Hinricher, and Jacob Huewe
- American Legion Scholarship—Tia McKillip
- Minnehaha Funeral Home Scholarship—Michael Mitchell
- David Schmidt Memorial Scholarship—Sheridan Skinner
- Golden West Scholarship—Tia McKillip
- Dan Daugaard Scholarship—Jackson Gleason
- DREA Scholarship—Mallory Luke & Jacob Habeger
- PEO Scholarship—Lexi Snyder
- DR Lions Club Scholarship—Lexi Snyder
- Jerry Hoftiezer Memorial Scholarship—Michael Mitchell & Ben Hinricher
- DR Forward Youth Scholarship—Victoria Murphy & Lexi Snyder
- Jeremy Baum “Hope” Scholarship—Alexis Damm
- Wyatt Ammon Scholarship—Brock Reinhiller
- Regina Evans “Grandma” Scholarship—Jonathan DeNoon
- Gloria Beck Scholarship—Tia McKillip
- Woody Yaroch Memorial Scholarship—Taiven Logan
- Bernice & Henry Speh Scholarship—Kenaniah Swenson & Zane Schumacher
- John Solem Scholarship—Tia McKillip, Jonathan DeNoon, Matthew DeNoon & Lexi Snyder
National Honor Society Awards—
- NHS Teacher of the Year—Jann Saxon
- NHS Friend of Education—LuAnn Heidebrink
Sports Recognition & Awards Night Awards:
- Ron Berg—FB Jacob Habeger & Cody Nielsen
- WR Austin Eulberg & Brock Reinhiller
- WR State Champion: Leon Maxwell
- Zach Leighton “Believe” Scholarship-Cody Nielsen, Andy Scherff, Zach Schroeder, & Mikaela Adams
- Michael Entringer Scholarship—Cody Nielsen & Michael Mitchell
- Scholar Athletes: Lexi Snyder & Cody Nielsen
- Quarrier Athlete of the Year: Michaela Stofferahn & Zach Schroeder
Booster of the Year—Kevin & Jeanine Schnieders
The Dell Rapids one-act play cast earned a 3rd place finish at the Region 3A competition held in Brandon on Thursday, January 30th. Outstanding acting awards were earned by by Taiven Logan and Michael Mitchell with a three-for-three sweep from the judges. Alec Riswold also earned an outstanding actor award from two out of the three judges. Jessica Tisher earned a nomination from one judge.
“Connections for a Healthy Community”
Dell Rapids Connections is a group of community partners including the Dell Rapids Public School, Dell Rapids St Mary School, the Dell Rapids Ministerial Association, and community members. The mission is “connecting families to community resources.”
Dell Rapids Connections seeks to:
- Empower families to make healthy decisions
- Enhance awareness of community resources
- Provide education and support to families
- Provide opportunities to improve/foster healthy relationships
Upcoming September and October Events:
- Restoration Generation
- Dell Rapids Public and Dell Rapids St Mary MS/HS School Assembly and Evening Community Concert
- National Suicide Awareness Day
September Teaching Staff Goal: Assist Suicide Prevention Training
October 20th – 4:00 to 6:30 p.m.
- “To Save a Life” movie at Old 77 – Parent viewing
October 23rd – 6:30 to 9:00 p.m.
- “To Save a Life” movie at Old 77 – 7th through 12th grade viewing