Wednesday, May 23rd
• Happy Birthday to Morgan N. (Mon), Jessica S. (Mon), and Danek H. (Mon)!!
• Lunch: Pizza Ranch or Grilling Station
- Happy Last Day of School!
- All students files will be deleted from the network on May 31st. If you have any questions or concerns, please see Mr. Krumm.
- WRESTLERS! YOU NEED TO GET YOUR WRESTLING GEAR TO MR. JORGENSEN! ASAP!!!
- Freshman and Sophomores will check in computers on Tuesday and Juniors on Wednesday!
- If you picked up a form to help serve at the Banquet, please see Ms. Rieck by noon today. Also, see her if you are interested in helping. Thanks!
- Attention Students: Lunch balances will need to be paid in full before the last day of school.
- Please join former college coach and current BASA Director of Coaching, Becky McCabe, and GHS Coach Emily Willman in this fun and intense soccer camp in Garretson. This camp is for boys and girls. To register, go to www.bransonareasoccer.com
- If you have forms for helping serve at the Banquet, please turn them in or see Ms. Rieck by the end of the day. Thank you!
- For those students that are not going to the state track meet, please return your uniforms. Girls return uniforms to Mr. Hegge and boys return uniforms to Mr. Dahl. Thanks!
- Attention anyone that is interested in the Dell Rapids Booster Club Individual Athletic Camp Scholarship Program, please stop by the office and pick up an application. The Booster Club scholarship is available to athletes entering the 9th-12th grade and participating in a sport in the upcoming school year. Forms can be picked up and turned in to Eve prior to the end of the school year.
- If you are interested in the Dell Rapids High School Girls All-Sport Acceleration Program or the Dell Rapids Quarrier Football Sport Enhancement Program, please stop by the high school office and pick up a pamphlet.
- Lost: a pair of size 11, black/white tennis shoes last seen yesterday in the 7th grade boys locker room. If found, please see Ms. Barber (reward will be given).
- All library books were due May 11th. There is a list of HS students with overdue books posted outside the library. All books and/or fines must be resolved before you can be signed out for the end of the year.
- Attention students: If you have a negative balance in your lunch account you are not permitted to take a la cart items unless you are paying cash for them at checkout. Attention Students: Lunch balances will need to be paid in full before the last day of school.
- Are you interested in learning more about other countries and cultures? The 2018 Lions Youth Exchange Camp will be held in Sioux Falls July 15-21 at Augustana University. 25 youth exchange students from around the world will attend the camp, and 20 youth from North and South Dakota will be selected to attend. Cost of the camp is $400, which includes all food, lodging, and activities. This is a unique opportunity to develop meaningful relationships with students from around the world. Host families are also needed. International students will arrive July 8, 2018 and depart July 28th. Host families provide a place for the student to live before and after the youth camp, as well as help the student learn more about American culture. For more information, visit www.sdlions.org/youthcamp or call Jennifer at 338-0551.
- ATTENTION 7TH AND 8TH GRADERS: Quarry Days Top of the Rock tournament will be held June 23rd. Stop in the office for more info/registration info.
- The Fine Arts Boosters are doing Jazz Fest parking again as a fundraiser. The event is held July 20-21, 2018 in Sioux Falls and we can use volunteers who are 18 and over. Jazz Fest organizers will keep groups of 2 or 3 people together if you want to work with friends or family. Proceeds will be used to support the band, choir, drama, quiz bowl and journalism programs. To sign up, visit https://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e0a4cabab28a0f94-jazz. Deadline to sign up is May 15th.
- Summer Jobs:
- Jellystone Park is excepting applications for the 2018 season. Interested? Apply in person at I90, exit 402 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org and they will send you an application.
- Heinemann Restoration is hiring for general labor positions. Must be 18 years of age.
- Summer pollinating positions in DuPont Pioneer in Volga. Application due no later June 20th. Please go on their website email@example.com
- Anyone that would be interested in umpiring softball this summer can sign up at dellrapidssoftball.com (Dell Rapids Softball Dot Com). You can earn from $15.00 to $35.00 per game. You must be 13 by June first. Again, sign up at (Dell Rapids Softball Dot Com).
- SHOPKO is now hiring. We are looking for your help as we work to staff our part time and seasonal help. We promote from within, offer competitive wages, provide a teammate discount, flexible scheduling and on the job training. Please contact Katy Behl, sourcing specialist at (920) 429-4423 and apply online at shopko.com/careers
- Summer custodial position for the high school:
The school is looking for summer student custodial help. Please stop by either office if you are interested. Close date will be April 20th.
- Wild Water West is now hiring for individuals who are willing to work Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day for the following positions: Lifeguards and concessions. If interested apply online at wildwaterwest.com
- The Library is hiring a part-time library assistant. Applications and full job descriptions are available at the Carnegie Public Library, City Hall or under the Employment section at cityofdellrapids.org Applications are due May 31st. Applicants must be at least 16 years of age. This is NOT a seasonal position. If you have any questions, please give us a call at 428-3280 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The City of Colton is now taking applications for lifeguards help for the 2018 season at the Colton Swimming Pool. Certificate requires for lifeguard positions. Cost will be reimbursed by the city. Applications can be picked up at Colton City Hall at 309 E 4th St. in Colton or call 605-446-3811 for more information.
Wednesday, May 23rd
• Happy Birthday t0 Dawson H. (Thu), Desirae H. (Thu), and Grady L. (Thu). Also Happy Birthday to all students and staff with summer birthdays!!
• 5th/6th Lunch today will be choices of: Toasted Cheese Sandwich or Pizza Ranch
• 7th/8th Lunch today will be choices of: Pizza Ranch or Grilling Station
- Attention 8th Grade Students: Dell Rapids Booster Club Individual Athletic Camp Scholarship Program, is available to incoming freshman – juniors that will be participating in a sport in the 18-19 school year. Please stop by the office to pick up an application. Completed forms should be turned in to the office prior to the end of the school year.
- Avera Dell Rapids is hosting a babysitting class on May 31st from 9am-3pm. Class size is limited and will be filled on a first come first serve basis. For more information, please stop in the office.
- Attention Students: Lunch balances will need to be paid in full before dismissal today.
- All-Star Basketball Camp registration forms are due in the office by Friday, May 25. If you need a new form, please contact Mrs. Gruis or Mr. Tjaden. Thanks!
- Attention 5th grade band students: If you are doing band next year, please turn in your registration card.
- 5TH and 6th grade band students: Please bring chrome books to band today.
- Attention Soccer Players: Please join former college coach and current BASA Director of Coaching, Becky McCabe, and GHS Coach Emily Willman in this fun and intense soccer camp in Garretson. This camp is for boys and girls. To register, go to www.bransonareasoccer.com
- ATTENTION 7TH AND 8TH GRADERS: Quarry Days Top of the Rock tournament will be held June 23rd. Stop in the office
for more info/registration info.
- DRMS Yearbooks are in! If you ordered a yearbook, please see your homeroom teacher. If you did not order and would like to buy one, please stop in the office. Cost is $25
- Any 8th grader who has not picked up their FACS project, please do so today!!
- Suckers will be sold after school at the north end of the commons area. 1 for $1.00 or 3 for $2.00.
- Good luck to Rylee Rinehart as she represents Dell Rapids and South Dakota at the National FCCLA Conference competition with her STAR Event in the category of Food Innovations! It will be held in Atlanta in late June.
- WRESTLERS! YOU NEED TO GET YOUR WRESTLING GEAR TO MR. JORGENSEN before dismissal tomorrow!!!
- Talent Show will be held today at 1:30 in the Commons.
- Good Luck to the STATE TRACK participants as they travel to Rapid City for the STATE MEET. Bus leaves tomorrow at 7:30am, meet will be Friday and Saturday.
- Good Luck to the varsity golfers as they participate in the REGION meet tomorrow at Rocky Run golf course starting at 10am.
- Good Luck to the varsity golfers as they host the STATE MEET June 4th & 5th.
- Reminder to drivers ed students: Classroom portion will be next week Tuesday-Friday 8am-4pm.
Superior Plus ratings were earned by Ella Lueders in Serious, and Libby Clark in Poetry. Clark had three 1st places and a perfect 90. The duo of Jay Holm and Lueders also earned a Superior Plus rating with two 1st places, a 2nd place, and an 88.
Superior ratings were earned by Tim Jaycox and Morgan Nemmers in Humor, Erin Larsen in Oratory, Sage Shellum, Cariss Montgomery, and Brooke Hawthorne in Drama, and the duo team of Maggie Moore and Hawthorne.
Excellent Plus ratings went to Bergen Weiland and Abby Stauffenecker in Drama, and Paige Krumm in Poetry.
The team will perform again on Saturday, October 8th, at Roosevelt High School.
The Dell Rapids and Dell Rapids St Mary Homecoming Royalties have been announced for the 2014 Homecoming. This year’s Homecoming for both schools will be the week of September 29th – Oct 3rd.
Dell Rapids St Mary Homecoming Royalty:
- Brandi Wolles
- Claudia Schwebach
- Ally Mullaney
- Wes Heinricy
- Noel Hansen
- Mitch Brown
**Coronation will be held on Monday, September 29th, at 7:00 p.m.
Dell Rapids Homecoming Royalty:
- Taylor Brown
- Meg Dearduff
- Baily Munk
- Jessica Tisher
- Adam Karst
- Tanner Ljunggren
- Riley Schmidt
- Andrew Wiebenga
**Coronation on Monday, September 29th will be changed from 7:30pm to 8:00pm. Please share that time change with your family and friends.
Dell Rapids Public Schools will be holding registrations starting on Monday, August 11th, and will continue on Tuesday, August 12th. The Senior class registration will be on Monday from 9:oo a.m. until 12:00 p.m. The Junior class registration will also be on Monday from 1:00 p.m. until 4:00 p.m. A mandatory Parent/Student meeting for fall sport participants in grades 7-12 will also be held on Monday at 6:30 p.m. in the high school gym.
Registration will continue on Tuesday with elementary student registration at the elementary school from 7:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. Sophomore class registration will be held from 9:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m. 5th grade registration will also be held from 9:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m. at the middle school. Freshman registration will run from 1:00 p.m. until 4:00 p.m at the high school while grades 6-8 registration will be held from 1:00 p.m. until 4:00 p.m. at the middle school.
Open houses for Dell Rapids public will take place on Tuesday, August 26th. The elementary school open house will be from 5:30 p.m. until 6:30 p.m. The 5th grade open house will be held from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. in the high school gym. Open house for grades 6-8 will be held in the home room classrooms also from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. on August 26th.
The first day of school is Wednesday, August 27th.
Complete school supply lists can be found by clicking the links:
Since 2013 the Minnehaha Funeral Home, of Baltic, Colton, Dell Rapids, and Garretson, South Dakota, has awarded a $500 scholarship to one graduating high school senior from each of the high schools in our area. Minnehaha Funeral Home has always prided itself in its community involvement, and these scholarships will continue that focus. In addition to academic information, applicants were asked to submit an essay on how ethics and morals impacted their daily life. Recipients were chosen by a five person committee made up from the funeral home’s board of directors. We are pleased to announce that the 2014 recipients of the Minnehaha Funeral Home Scholarship of:
- Baltic High School-Shi Almont
- Chester Area High School-Adam Anderson
- Dell Rapids High School-Michael Mitchell
- Dell Rapids St. Mary High School-Kiley Reecy
- Garretson High School-Conner Blosmo
- Tri-Valley High School-Clark Haugen
Dell Rapids High School held its National Honor Society Awards Banquet on Monday, May 12th, at the Dell Rapids Lutheran Church.
Below are the list of winners:
- Bausch & Lomb Science Award—Jessica Tisher
- George Eastman Young Leadership Award—Sarah Haak
- Frederick Douglas Susan B. Anthony Award—Melanie Wilke
- Trent Area Scholarship—Madie Vietor, Ben Hinricher, and Jacob Huewe
- American Legion Scholarship—Tia McKillip
- Minnehaha Funeral Home Scholarship—Michael Mitchell
- David Schmidt Memorial Scholarship—Sheridan Skinner
- Golden West Scholarship—Tia McKillip
- Dan Daugaard Scholarship—Jackson Gleason
- DREA Scholarship—Mallory Luke & Jacob Habeger
- PEO Scholarship—Lexi Snyder
- DR Lions Club Scholarship—Lexi Snyder
- Jerry Hoftiezer Memorial Scholarship—Michael Mitchell & Ben Hinricher
- DR Forward Youth Scholarship—Victoria Murphy & Lexi Snyder
- Jeremy Baum “Hope” Scholarship—Alexis Damm
- Wyatt Ammon Scholarship—Brock Reinhiller
- Regina Evans “Grandma” Scholarship—Jonathan DeNoon
- Gloria Beck Scholarship—Tia McKillip
- Woody Yaroch Memorial Scholarship—Taiven Logan
- Bernice & Henry Speh Scholarship—Kenaniah Swenson & Zane Schumacher
- John Solem Scholarship—Tia McKillip, Jonathan DeNoon, Matthew DeNoon & Lexi Snyder
National Honor Society Awards—
- NHS Teacher of the Year—Jann Saxon
- NHS Friend of Education—LuAnn Heidebrink
Sports Recognition & Awards Night Awards:
- Ron Berg—FB Jacob Habeger & Cody Nielsen
- WR Austin Eulberg & Brock Reinhiller
- WR State Champion: Leon Maxwell
- Zach Leighton “Believe” Scholarship-Cody Nielsen, Andy Scherff, Zach Schroeder, & Mikaela Adams
- Michael Entringer Scholarship—Cody Nielsen & Michael Mitchell
- Scholar Athletes: Lexi Snyder & Cody Nielsen
- Quarrier Athlete of the Year: Michaela Stofferahn & Zach Schroeder
Booster of the Year—Kevin & Jeanine Schnieders
The Dell Rapids one-act play cast earned a 3rd place finish at the Region 3A competition held in Brandon on Thursday, January 30th. Outstanding acting awards were earned by by Taiven Logan and Michael Mitchell with a three-for-three sweep from the judges. Alec Riswold also earned an outstanding actor award from two out of the three judges. Jessica Tisher earned a nomination from one judge.
“Connections for a Healthy Community”
Dell Rapids Connections is a group of community partners including the Dell Rapids Public School, Dell Rapids St Mary School, the Dell Rapids Ministerial Association, and community members. The mission is “connecting families to community resources.”
Dell Rapids Connections seeks to:
- Empower families to make healthy decisions
- Enhance awareness of community resources
- Provide education and support to families
- Provide opportunities to improve/foster healthy relationships
Upcoming September and October Events:
- Restoration Generation
- Dell Rapids Public and Dell Rapids St Mary MS/HS School Assembly and Evening Community Concert
- National Suicide Awareness Day
September Teaching Staff Goal: Assist Suicide Prevention Training
October 20th – 4:00 to 6:30 p.m.
- “To Save a Life” movie at Old 77 – Parent viewing
October 23rd – 6:30 to 9:00 p.m.
- “To Save a Life” movie at Old 77 – 7th through 12th grade viewing