Wednesday, January 17th
• Happy Birthday to Asher L. (Tue) and Joey A. (Tue)!!
• Lunch: BBQ Pork Sandwich, Pizza or Grilling Station
- No OI today.
- Juniors: There will be a brief prom meeting at noon today in the library.
- Any girls or boys that are NOT out for basketball or wrestling that are interested in track, there is a short meeting in Mr. Hegge’s room Wednesday after school.
- There will be an FCCLA meeting on Friday morning at 8 in the FACS room.
- Pizza party for junior students that helped with Homecoming float building is scheduled for Friday over lunch in the choir room – yes, finally
- Student Council meeting on Thursday, January 18th, over lunch in the Spanish Room.
- National Honor Society meeting on Friday, January 19th, over lunch in the Spanish Room.
- If there are any changes that you would like to make to your schedule, please see Mrs. Ruesink and do it ASAP. If you need a copy of your schedule, please refer to the portal.
- Attention students: If you have a negative balance in your lunch account you are not permitted to take 2nds on the a la cart items.
- There are $40 off coupons for The French Door in the high school office for Prom. If you are interested, please stop in and see Eve.
- Ladies: If you purchase your dress at Bridal Gallery please see Brianna Ruth or Eve for a coupon for a free garter or earrings at the time of purchase.
- If you are interested in ordering State “A” Wrestling Tournament Tickets, you can place your order with the Dell Rapids High School Office by 12:00, Wednesday, January 24th. Forms are available in the high school office.
- Raven is hosting an Engineering Career Day on Thursday, January 25th. Students attending will hear from the Raven team and explore real-life applications of the various disciplines of Engineering (Electrical Engineering, Computer/Software Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Industrial Engineering). Please see Mrs. Ruesink if you are interested in registering for the Raven Career Day.
Wednesday, January 17th
• Happy Birthday to Mr. Honerman (Wed)!!
• 5th/6th Lunch today will be choices of: California Lasagna or BBQ Pork Sandwich
• 7th/8th Lunch today will be choices of: BBQ Pork Sandwich, Pizza or Grilling Station
- Attention 6th Graders: If you’d like to read announcements next quarter, please sign up in the office.
- There will be an FCCLA meeting on Friday morning at 8 in the FACS room.
- The 8th grade boys won both games at Flandreau last Monday. The boys won the A game by a score of 62 to 17. Nine players scored for Dells. The team played great defense and numerous assists were dished out on the offensive end. The B team won 16 to 5. Great job guys!
- 2018 State “A” wrestling tournament will be held February 23 & 24 in Sioux Falls. Ticket information can be picked up in the MS office, form/payment must be returned to the office by noon, January 24th.
Superior Plus ratings were earned by Ella Lueders in Serious, and Libby Clark in Poetry. Clark had three 1st places and a perfect 90. The duo of Jay Holm and Lueders also earned a Superior Plus rating with two 1st places, a 2nd place, and an 88.
Superior ratings were earned by Tim Jaycox and Morgan Nemmers in Humor, Erin Larsen in Oratory, Sage Shellum, Cariss Montgomery, and Brooke Hawthorne in Drama, and the duo team of Maggie Moore and Hawthorne.
Excellent Plus ratings went to Bergen Weiland and Abby Stauffenecker in Drama, and Paige Krumm in Poetry.
The team will perform again on Saturday, October 8th, at Roosevelt High School.
The Dell Rapids and Dell Rapids St Mary Homecoming Royalties have been announced for the 2014 Homecoming. This year’s Homecoming for both schools will be the week of September 29th – Oct 3rd.
Dell Rapids St Mary Homecoming Royalty:
- Brandi Wolles
- Claudia Schwebach
- Ally Mullaney
- Wes Heinricy
- Noel Hansen
- Mitch Brown
**Coronation will be held on Monday, September 29th, at 7:00 p.m.
Dell Rapids Homecoming Royalty:
- Taylor Brown
- Meg Dearduff
- Baily Munk
- Jessica Tisher
- Adam Karst
- Tanner Ljunggren
- Riley Schmidt
- Andrew Wiebenga
**Coronation on Monday, September 29th will be changed from 7:30pm to 8:00pm. Please share that time change with your family and friends.
Dell Rapids Public Schools will be holding registrations starting on Monday, August 11th, and will continue on Tuesday, August 12th. The Senior class registration will be on Monday from 9:oo a.m. until 12:00 p.m. The Junior class registration will also be on Monday from 1:00 p.m. until 4:00 p.m. A mandatory Parent/Student meeting for fall sport participants in grades 7-12 will also be held on Monday at 6:30 p.m. in the high school gym.
Registration will continue on Tuesday with elementary student registration at the elementary school from 7:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. Sophomore class registration will be held from 9:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m. 5th grade registration will also be held from 9:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m. at the middle school. Freshman registration will run from 1:00 p.m. until 4:00 p.m at the high school while grades 6-8 registration will be held from 1:00 p.m. until 4:00 p.m. at the middle school.
Open houses for Dell Rapids public will take place on Tuesday, August 26th. The elementary school open house will be from 5:30 p.m. until 6:30 p.m. The 5th grade open house will be held from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. in the high school gym. Open house for grades 6-8 will be held in the home room classrooms also from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. on August 26th.
The first day of school is Wednesday, August 27th.
Complete school supply lists can be found by clicking the links:
Since 2013 the Minnehaha Funeral Home, of Baltic, Colton, Dell Rapids, and Garretson, South Dakota, has awarded a $500 scholarship to one graduating high school senior from each of the high schools in our area. Minnehaha Funeral Home has always prided itself in its community involvement, and these scholarships will continue that focus. In addition to academic information, applicants were asked to submit an essay on how ethics and morals impacted their daily life. Recipients were chosen by a five person committee made up from the funeral home’s board of directors. We are pleased to announce that the 2014 recipients of the Minnehaha Funeral Home Scholarship of:
- Baltic High School-Shi Almont
- Chester Area High School-Adam Anderson
- Dell Rapids High School-Michael Mitchell
- Dell Rapids St. Mary High School-Kiley Reecy
- Garretson High School-Conner Blosmo
- Tri-Valley High School-Clark Haugen
Dell Rapids High School held its National Honor Society Awards Banquet on Monday, May 12th, at the Dell Rapids Lutheran Church.
Below are the list of winners:
- Bausch & Lomb Science Award—Jessica Tisher
- George Eastman Young Leadership Award—Sarah Haak
- Frederick Douglas Susan B. Anthony Award—Melanie Wilke
- Trent Area Scholarship—Madie Vietor, Ben Hinricher, and Jacob Huewe
- American Legion Scholarship—Tia McKillip
- Minnehaha Funeral Home Scholarship—Michael Mitchell
- David Schmidt Memorial Scholarship—Sheridan Skinner
- Golden West Scholarship—Tia McKillip
- Dan Daugaard Scholarship—Jackson Gleason
- DREA Scholarship—Mallory Luke & Jacob Habeger
- PEO Scholarship—Lexi Snyder
- DR Lions Club Scholarship—Lexi Snyder
- Jerry Hoftiezer Memorial Scholarship—Michael Mitchell & Ben Hinricher
- DR Forward Youth Scholarship—Victoria Murphy & Lexi Snyder
- Jeremy Baum “Hope” Scholarship—Alexis Damm
- Wyatt Ammon Scholarship—Brock Reinhiller
- Regina Evans “Grandma” Scholarship—Jonathan DeNoon
- Gloria Beck Scholarship—Tia McKillip
- Woody Yaroch Memorial Scholarship—Taiven Logan
- Bernice & Henry Speh Scholarship—Kenaniah Swenson & Zane Schumacher
- John Solem Scholarship—Tia McKillip, Jonathan DeNoon, Matthew DeNoon & Lexi Snyder
National Honor Society Awards—
- NHS Teacher of the Year—Jann Saxon
- NHS Friend of Education—LuAnn Heidebrink
Sports Recognition & Awards Night Awards:
- Ron Berg—FB Jacob Habeger & Cody Nielsen
- WR Austin Eulberg & Brock Reinhiller
- WR State Champion: Leon Maxwell
- Zach Leighton “Believe” Scholarship-Cody Nielsen, Andy Scherff, Zach Schroeder, & Mikaela Adams
- Michael Entringer Scholarship—Cody Nielsen & Michael Mitchell
- Scholar Athletes: Lexi Snyder & Cody Nielsen
- Quarrier Athlete of the Year: Michaela Stofferahn & Zach Schroeder
Booster of the Year—Kevin & Jeanine Schnieders
The Dell Rapids one-act play cast earned a 3rd place finish at the Region 3A competition held in Brandon on Thursday, January 30th. Outstanding acting awards were earned by by Taiven Logan and Michael Mitchell with a three-for-three sweep from the judges. Alec Riswold also earned an outstanding actor award from two out of the three judges. Jessica Tisher earned a nomination from one judge.
“Connections for a Healthy Community”
Dell Rapids Connections is a group of community partners including the Dell Rapids Public School, Dell Rapids St Mary School, the Dell Rapids Ministerial Association, and community members. The mission is “connecting families to community resources.”
Dell Rapids Connections seeks to:
- Empower families to make healthy decisions
- Enhance awareness of community resources
- Provide education and support to families
- Provide opportunities to improve/foster healthy relationships
Upcoming September and October Events:
- Restoration Generation
- Dell Rapids Public and Dell Rapids St Mary MS/HS School Assembly and Evening Community Concert
- National Suicide Awareness Day
September Teaching Staff Goal: Assist Suicide Prevention Training
October 20th – 4:00 to 6:30 p.m.
- “To Save a Life” movie at Old 77 – Parent viewing
October 23rd – 6:30 to 9:00 p.m.
- “To Save a Life” movie at Old 77 – 7th through 12th grade viewing