Wednesday, February 19th
• Happy Birthday to Mackenzie W. (Wed)!!
• Lunch: Loaded Hash Browns OR Crispy Chicken Sandwich
- Attention all students:
- **With the weather changing, it is VERY important that you allow yourself an extra 5 minutes with your defrosters on. Be safe and do not drive with frosted windshields!***
- Please be aware of where you are parking. Do not park in front of any mailboxes, fire hydrants or too close to driveways. Please remember you cannot park within 12 feet of an intersection or crosswalk or 15 feet from a fire hydrant. YOU MUST BE STAFF TO PARK in the staff parking lot. You must also have a parking pass on the dash of your car in order to park in the staff parking lot.
- Last fall you received notice from us that to continue receiving Bright Arrow alerts, you needed to “opt in”. If you haven’t done this, unfortunately, you will not receive our text message alerts. To opt in simply text the word YES to 87569. You should receive a reply saying you have signed up to receive messages from DRPS.
- The FCCLA Chapter is sponsoring a “Shoes for the Shoeless” drive until Friday, March 6th. So, if you have shoes that you no longer wear and are slightly worn and you no longer use, consider donating them for someone who can use them in Sioux Falls and the surrounding area. You may bring them to the box in either the middle school office or the high school office. Thank you for your donations!
- The FCCLA chapter is sponsoring a basket raffle with the proceeds being donated to the Dell Rapids Food Pantry. Tomorrow morning before school the baskets will be on display in the middle school commons area and you may purchase tickets to put in the basket of your choice. Tickets are $1.00 each or 6 for $5.00. Your donation will be put to good use and you might even win a basket! Drawing will be held on Thursday, February 27th and you do not need to be present to win.
- Dell Rapids Post Prom: Juniors/Seniors
- April 4th 1-430.
- Location:High School
- Lots of games, activities, food and prizes!
- Prom ends at midnight. Must be checked in by 1am. This gives the kids 1 hour to change and get back to the school for the fun! Doors will lock at 1am. Attendees will be checked in by Deputy Walker and Mr. Bunkers. Please sign up early this will give you 10 extra chances at prizes!
- Deadline to register is March 27th.
- $30 non refundable fee for post prom due at time of registration. Forms can be turned into high school office.
- All students registered will receive $25 gift card!
- More details and forms available on our Facebook page- Dell Rapids After Prom. Forms will also be send home with each student.
- Any questions please contact Mandie Maeschen 321-7471
- Competitive Cheer Tryout Informational meeting: Wednesday, March 25th after school in the MS Commons
Tryout Practice Dates: April 22nd, 24th, and 29th
- Raven is hosting an Engineering Career Day on February 20, 2020. Raven Career Day is an interactive, educational program for high school students. Students get to explore real-life applications of the various disciplines of engineering. Registration is required – please see Mrs. Ruesink if you are interested in attending.
- Any student who was enrolled in an agriculture class last fall or currently in an agriculture class is eligible to join the FFA. The $20 dues must be paid by Feb. 21.
- South Dakota Air National Guard is hosting a Career Day on Wednesday, April 22nd. This event is for students interested in learning about the educational, career, travel and financial benefits of the South Dakota Air National Guard. In addition to learning about these opportunities students attending the Career Day will get a base tour, see F-16 fighter jets, and a free lunch. Registration is required – see Mrs. Ruesink if you are interested.
- Weekly Schedule:
- GBB @ Madison, JV starts @ 6:15, varsity to follow
- 7/8 BBB @ Tri-Valley, 7A starts @ 4:30 7B, 8A & 8B to follow
- CPR training for Seniors @ 1:00 in the HS gym
- BBB @ Home vs Lennox, C starts @ 5, JV & Varsity to follow
- BBB – 8th DAK XII Tourney (North) @ Home – HS & MS Gyms 9:00-2:30
- GBB – Home vs. Aberdeen Roncalli @ 3:15 JV, Varsity to follow
- WR – Region 1A in Brookings @ 10:00
Wednesday, February 12th
• Happy Birthday to Straton T. (Tue), Shelby W. (Tue), Shayla W. (Tue), Mrs. Feist (Tue)!!
• Lunch today will be choices of: Stroganoff or Chicken Nuggets
- Attention 6th graders: If you would like to read morning announcements this quarter, please sign up in the office.
- American Heart Association t-shirts are in. Please see Ms. Barber if you would like to purchase.
- Do you like chocolate? If so, take a guess on the number of chocolates that are in the container and fill out the slip of paper with your guess and place it in the bucket. Someone will be in the middle school area by the office before school on Wednesday and Thursday morning before school for you to fill out your guess. Then it will be in the middle school office. Winner will be announced on Thursday morning before you leave for the day. Sponsored by the FCCLA chapter.
- DRMS would like to congratulate the Students of the Month for February. These individuals have demonstrated positive character traits in and outside of the classroom. Thank you to Lunchtime Solutions, Pinz Bowling, Buffalo Wild Wings and Pizza Ranch, for providing Students of the Month recipients with gift certificates for these places!
Congratulations to our February Students of the Month:
- 5th grade – Tayden J. and Becket N.
- 6th grade – Monty K. and Summer S.
- 7th grade – Lexi R. and Kate P.
- 8th grade – Oscar A.and Jack H.
- Attention Staff and Parents: Last fall you received notice from us that to continue receiving Bright Arrow alerts, you needed to “opt in”. If you haven’t done this, unfortunately, you will not receive our text message alerts. To opt in simply text the word YES to 87569. You should receive a reply saying you have signed up to receive messages from DRPS.
Superior Plus ratings were earned by Ella Lueders in Serious, and Libby Clark in Poetry. Clark had three 1st places and a perfect 90. The duo of Jay Holm and Lueders also earned a Superior Plus rating with two 1st places, a 2nd place, and an 88.
Superior ratings were earned by Tim Jaycox and Morgan Nemmers in Humor, Erin Larsen in Oratory, Sage Shellum, Cariss Montgomery, and Brooke Hawthorne in Drama, and the duo team of Maggie Moore and Hawthorne.
Excellent Plus ratings went to Bergen Weiland and Abby Stauffenecker in Drama, and Paige Krumm in Poetry.
The team will perform again on Saturday, October 8th, at Roosevelt High School.
The Dell Rapids and Dell Rapids St Mary Homecoming Royalties have been announced for the 2014 Homecoming. This year’s Homecoming for both schools will be the week of September 29th – Oct 3rd.
Dell Rapids St Mary Homecoming Royalty:
- Brandi Wolles
- Claudia Schwebach
- Ally Mullaney
- Wes Heinricy
- Noel Hansen
- Mitch Brown
**Coronation will be held on Monday, September 29th, at 7:00 p.m.
Dell Rapids Homecoming Royalty:
- Taylor Brown
- Meg Dearduff
- Baily Munk
- Jessica Tisher
- Adam Karst
- Tanner Ljunggren
- Riley Schmidt
- Andrew Wiebenga
**Coronation on Monday, September 29th will be changed from 7:30pm to 8:00pm. Please share that time change with your family and friends.
Dell Rapids Public Schools will be holding registrations starting on Monday, August 11th, and will continue on Tuesday, August 12th. The Senior class registration will be on Monday from 9:oo a.m. until 12:00 p.m. The Junior class registration will also be on Monday from 1:00 p.m. until 4:00 p.m. A mandatory Parent/Student meeting for fall sport participants in grades 7-12 will also be held on Monday at 6:30 p.m. in the high school gym.
Registration will continue on Tuesday with elementary student registration at the elementary school from 7:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. Sophomore class registration will be held from 9:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m. 5th grade registration will also be held from 9:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m. at the middle school. Freshman registration will run from 1:00 p.m. until 4:00 p.m at the high school while grades 6-8 registration will be held from 1:00 p.m. until 4:00 p.m. at the middle school.
Open houses for Dell Rapids public will take place on Tuesday, August 26th. The elementary school open house will be from 5:30 p.m. until 6:30 p.m. The 5th grade open house will be held from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. in the high school gym. Open house for grades 6-8 will be held in the home room classrooms also from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. on August 26th.
The first day of school is Wednesday, August 27th.
Complete school supply lists can be found by clicking the links:
Since 2013 the Minnehaha Funeral Home, of Baltic, Colton, Dell Rapids, and Garretson, South Dakota, has awarded a $500 scholarship to one graduating high school senior from each of the high schools in our area. Minnehaha Funeral Home has always prided itself in its community involvement, and these scholarships will continue that focus. In addition to academic information, applicants were asked to submit an essay on how ethics and morals impacted their daily life. Recipients were chosen by a five person committee made up from the funeral home’s board of directors. We are pleased to announce that the 2014 recipients of the Minnehaha Funeral Home Scholarship of:
- Baltic High School-Shi Almont
- Chester Area High School-Adam Anderson
- Dell Rapids High School-Michael Mitchell
- Dell Rapids St. Mary High School-Kiley Reecy
- Garretson High School-Conner Blosmo
- Tri-Valley High School-Clark Haugen
Dell Rapids High School held its National Honor Society Awards Banquet on Monday, May 12th, at the Dell Rapids Lutheran Church.
Below are the list of winners:
- Bausch & Lomb Science Award—Jessica Tisher
- George Eastman Young Leadership Award—Sarah Haak
- Frederick Douglas Susan B. Anthony Award—Melanie Wilke
- Trent Area Scholarship—Madie Vietor, Ben Hinricher, and Jacob Huewe
- American Legion Scholarship—Tia McKillip
- Minnehaha Funeral Home Scholarship—Michael Mitchell
- David Schmidt Memorial Scholarship—Sheridan Skinner
- Golden West Scholarship—Tia McKillip
- Dan Daugaard Scholarship—Jackson Gleason
- DREA Scholarship—Mallory Luke & Jacob Habeger
- PEO Scholarship—Lexi Snyder
- DR Lions Club Scholarship—Lexi Snyder
- Jerry Hoftiezer Memorial Scholarship—Michael Mitchell & Ben Hinricher
- DR Forward Youth Scholarship—Victoria Murphy & Lexi Snyder
- Jeremy Baum “Hope” Scholarship—Alexis Damm
- Wyatt Ammon Scholarship—Brock Reinhiller
- Regina Evans “Grandma” Scholarship—Jonathan DeNoon
- Gloria Beck Scholarship—Tia McKillip
- Woody Yaroch Memorial Scholarship—Taiven Logan
- Bernice & Henry Speh Scholarship—Kenaniah Swenson & Zane Schumacher
- John Solem Scholarship—Tia McKillip, Jonathan DeNoon, Matthew DeNoon & Lexi Snyder
National Honor Society Awards—
- NHS Teacher of the Year—Jann Saxon
- NHS Friend of Education—LuAnn Heidebrink
Sports Recognition & Awards Night Awards:
- Ron Berg—FB Jacob Habeger & Cody Nielsen
- WR Austin Eulberg & Brock Reinhiller
- WR State Champion: Leon Maxwell
- Zach Leighton “Believe” Scholarship-Cody Nielsen, Andy Scherff, Zach Schroeder, & Mikaela Adams
- Michael Entringer Scholarship—Cody Nielsen & Michael Mitchell
- Scholar Athletes: Lexi Snyder & Cody Nielsen
- Quarrier Athlete of the Year: Michaela Stofferahn & Zach Schroeder
Booster of the Year—Kevin & Jeanine Schnieders
The Dell Rapids one-act play cast earned a 3rd place finish at the Region 3A competition held in Brandon on Thursday, January 30th. Outstanding acting awards were earned by by Taiven Logan and Michael Mitchell with a three-for-three sweep from the judges. Alec Riswold also earned an outstanding actor award from two out of the three judges. Jessica Tisher earned a nomination from one judge.
“Connections for a Healthy Community”
Dell Rapids Connections is a group of community partners including the Dell Rapids Public School, Dell Rapids St Mary School, the Dell Rapids Ministerial Association, and community members. The mission is “connecting families to community resources.”
Dell Rapids Connections seeks to:
- Empower families to make healthy decisions
- Enhance awareness of community resources
- Provide education and support to families
- Provide opportunities to improve/foster healthy relationships
Upcoming September and October Events:
- Restoration Generation
- Dell Rapids Public and Dell Rapids St Mary MS/HS School Assembly and Evening Community Concert
- National Suicide Awareness Day
September Teaching Staff Goal: Assist Suicide Prevention Training
October 20th – 4:00 to 6:30 p.m.
- “To Save a Life” movie at Old 77 – Parent viewing
October 23rd – 6:30 to 9:00 p.m.
- “To Save a Life” movie at Old 77 – 7th through 12th grade viewing