“Christmas for Our Kids” is a long-standing community project started by Sue Horstmeyer and currently spearheaded by the local ESA women’s organization. Because of the generosity of the Dell Rapids community, we are able to ensure a Merry Christmas for all our Dell Rapids kids. Last Christmas we were able to provide gifts to 132 children and gift cards to 50 families in the Dell Rapids area. Those kids truly had a Merry Christmas because of your kindness.
The “Christmas for Our Kids” project works like this:
- Families in need are identified through anonymous referrals. We may all know a family in our community that is going through tough times and could use our help to provide those extras over the holidays.
- Referred families are contacted and kid’s “wish lists” are requested.
- These “wish lists” are filled through donations and distributed to families prior to Christmas.
Here are some ways you can help ensure another successful “Christmas for Our Kids” project:
- Refer a Family in Need – Contact Brenda O’Hara or Lori Morris with family referrals. (Families must live within the Dell Rapids School District to be eligible.) Please submit referrals by November 10th. – (Brenda: Cell 201-6571 or email@example.com Lori: Cell 359-8795 or firstname.lastname@example.org )
- Adopt a Child or Family – You or your group can adopt a child or family and purchase gifts from their “wish lists”. You will be anonymously matched up with a child or family, then you do the shopping to fill the wish lists and return the gifts to us. Contact Brenda or Lori to be matched with a family.
- Angel Tree – There will be two Angel Trees set up with specific gift requests. Stop by County Fair or First National Bank and take a tag/tags from the Angel Tree, do your shopping, and return the unwrapped gifts under the tree by December 13th with the tag attached.
- Make a Monetary Donation – Monetary donations can be dropped off or mailed to “Christmas for Our Kids”, First National Bank, 312 E. 4th Street, Dell Rapids, SD 57022.
We hope to have all donations collected by December 14th so that gifts can be sorted and distributed to the families prior to Christmas. As we enter the holiday season please consider being part of this Dell Rapids tradition. If you have any questions please contact Brenda O’Hara at 201-6571 or email@example.com, or Lori Morris at 359-8795 or firstname.lastname@example.org.