“Christmas for Our Kids” is a long standing community project started by Sue Horstmeyer and currently spearheaded by the local ESA women’s organization. Because of the generosity of the Dell Rapids community, we are able to ensure a Merry Christmas for all of our Dell Rapids kids. Last Christmas we were able to provide gifts to 146 children and gift cards to 60 families in the Dell Rapids area. Those kids truly had a Merry Christmas because of your kindness.
The “Christmas for Our Kids” project works like this:
- Families in need are identified through anonymous referrals. We may all know a family in our community that is going through tough times and could use our help to provide those extras over the holidays.
- Referred families are contacted and kid’s “wish lists” are requested.
- These “wish lists” are filled through donations and delivered to families prior to Christmas.
Here are some ways you can help ensure another successful “Christmas for Our Kids” project:
- Refer a Family in Need – Contact Brenda O’Hara or Lori Morris with family referrals. Please submit referrals by November 10th. – (Brenda: Cell 201-6571 or firstname.lastname@example.org Lori: Cell 359-8795 or email@example.com
- Adopt a Child or Family – You or your group can adopt a child or family and purchase gifts from their “wish lists”. You will be anonymously matched up with a child or family and have fun shopping. Contact Brenda or Lori to be matched with a family.
- Angel Tree – There will be three Angel Trees set up with specific gift requests. Stop by Shopko, Avera Hospital, or First National Bank and take a tag from the Angel Tree, do your shopping, and return the unwrapped gift under the tree by December 13th with the tag attached.
- Make a Monetary Donation – Monetary donations can be dropped off or mailed to “Christmas for Our Kids”, First National Bank, 312 E. 4th Street, Dell Rapids, SD 57022.
We hope to have all donations collected by December 14th so that gifts can be sorted and delivered to the families prior to Christmas. As we enter the holiday season please consider being part of this Dell Rapids tradition. If you have any questions please contact Brenda O’Hara at 201-6571 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or Lori Morris at 359-8795 or email@example.com